Rocket Appartamento Side Panel/Case Swap Possible?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
mliberty

#1: Post by mliberty »

Has anyone customized or replaced the case of a Rocket Appartamento? I bought my machine roughly 7-8 years ago now. I have a desire to get something new and shiney... but it still works well, I'm happy with the shots I'm pulling from it, and most importantly, I don't really have the budget to upgrade to my "next step up" machine.

I have a standard Appartamento but really like the powder coat look of the Appartamento Nera. Is it possible to swap out the cases? I can't find any replacement cases online, but was curious if that is an option or not. I feel like a new look - new side panels and maybe some wood accents - could satisfy my get-a-new-machine itch for a few more years until I'm ready to take that next leap.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I posted this yesterday in Trying to find all black La Marzocco GS3 driptray:
HB wrote:The driptray is all straight, flat surfaces, which would be ideal for a wrap. See Vinyl wrap for espresso machine? for inspiration.

Carbon fiber accent behind grouphead
I think the same would apply to the side panels of your espresso machine. Randy has some other ideas:
Randy G. wrote:A number of years ago I think it was 1st Line who was offering a limited edition of wrapped Silvias. I Photoshopped a couple for fun:

Seems like a low-cost, easy way to upgrade the "curb appeal" of an espresso machine.
Dan Kehn

mliberty (original poster)

#3: Post by mliberty (original poster) »

That's a good idea that I wasn't really considering because of the heat. Looking at those threads it sounds like heat shouldn't be a problem with the right vinyl type -- Not sure I'm bold enough for a leopard print, but I'm sure I could find something :). And as you mention, probably a lot less expensive than replacing the metal frame. Thanks for the idea!

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I figure that the vinyl wrap used for cars should take the heat well; the hood of a sports car can surely get as hot (or hotter!) than the exterior of an espresso machine.
Dan Kehn