Rocket Appartamento not heating to steam temperature & leaking a little

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
thechientlegiant

#1: Post by thechientlegiant »

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first-time poster.

I've had my Appartamento for over a year now and used it this morning to pull a shot. Decided to descale as well since it's about that time.

Upon emptying the tank with steam pressure and putting dezcal in the reservoir, I realized something weird after coming back to the machine after 20 min to let it come up to temp - there was no steam pressure. I turned the machine off and on again, some steam would start to escape from the top like it usually does, but the pump turned on, pressure valve spiked to 2.5, pump stops, steam stops, and the pressure slowly releases.

If I open steam wand or hot water valve, the pressure quickly drops back to 0 with no steam coming out and barely any water from either. When I look below, there's a little puddle on the left mid section near where the power cable comes out. I think there's some yellow-like oil substance coming from the back right as well.

If anyone has come across this or have any ideas, I'd appreciate it!

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

thechientlegiant wrote: I turned the machine off and on again, some steam would start to escape from the top like it usually does, but the pump turned on, pressure valve spiked to 2.5, pump stops, steam stops, and the pressure slowly releases
I'll take a stab at it. "Pressure Valve meant Gauge, I believe...
So just at the moment when the water in the boiler was reaching boiling temp, the boiler-fill triggered. The pump came on and ran some water into the boiler adding non-thermally generated pressure. The anti-vacuum valve shut at that point, due to that pressure, trapping air (not steam) under pressure in the boiler. thus when the boiler heated any further the pressostat gets shut off far before the 124 Celsius point because it is reaching that greater than 1 Bar point too eraly due to the trapped air. Letting the air out (steam valve) and starting again should fix the issue, if it's simply trapped air.

If that didn't fix it, then you probably have a failing electronic component... The machine is an Appartamento, it could benefit from some work.

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would recommend a complete machine descaling with citric acid - BUT that might also mean additional challenges to solve before you're completely out of the woods.

Use of non-scaling water is essential to the health and well being of any espresso machine!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"