Rocket Appartamento Empty Tank Sensor Issue

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
nickerzb

#1: Post by nickerzb »

Hello all,

For context, I am attempting to get a Rocket Appartamento ready for sale for a friend's family. My friend owned the machine but recently passed away. The issue that I knew he was dealing with (boiler not turning off) I have already dealt with (replacing the Pressure Stat that's known to be an issue/consumable on these models). However, I've ran into another issue that I can't seem to make sense of.

Here's what will happen:
  • I power the machine on and heats up within any issue
  • I leave the machine on while I go do other things
  • I come back and the green light is blinking, pressure gauge reads 0

Now, the tank does have water in it. I'm aware on these machines it uses electrical conductivity (threw a screw into a pool of water, odd...) to verify that there's "water" in the tank. I'm using tap water at around 250 PPM, and the machine is fine with the water I'm using when it is initially turned on, so I don't think my water hardness or conductivity is the problem. Happy to verify other things here.

Where it gets really weird... to "fix" the state that it's getting into, I've been able to do the following with success:
  • Power cycle the machine
  • Engage the brew lever (starting the pump)

Both of these "solutions" cause the machine to effectively reset, it then thinks it has all the water it needs, and it triggers the boiler to turn on. All the wiring inside of the machine seems to be in tact and free of any buildup and in good shape. Nothing seems obvious in that department.

The only things I can think of that could be causing this issue:
  • Bad Control Unit
  • Perhaps some scale buildup somewhere?

Am I missing anything obvious? Anything else I should check? Am I just losing my mind?

kitt

#2: Post by kitt »

After how long does this happen? Are you sure it's just not in eco mode? if it has eco mode (goes into standby after 30 mins) , it's a small green switch under machine, quite often gets set by accident if moving machine

nickerzb (original poster)

#3: Post by nickerzb (original poster) replying to kitt »

I haven't timed it but I'd say it maybe stays on for an hour or two before it trips? Yes it is the "eco" model. I'm not aware of a green switch and it was recently moved a lot. I will look into that, thanks!

#4: Post by nickerzb (original poster) »

Just found the switch and it was in the "on" position so this seems likely. Reading the manual it seems it's a 90 minute or 120 minute cycle, and that aligns with my timeline too. Will report back.

#5: Post by nickerzb (original poster) »

Welp... that was it. Boy do I feel like an idiot lol. I knew it was an eco model (could see it on the control unit) but didn't think to look up what that actually meant.

Thank you :)

kitt

#6: Post by kitt »

Good result, i was getting my Eco times mixed up with other machines, but you're definitely not the first to have this issue. Why they couldn't put the switch in a more visible position is beyond me