Ring spanner vs. adjustable wrench covered with tape - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JordanK
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JordanK »

Just to be clear Jeff, you are saying your older model is smaller than the current ones, right? Online, the Knipex 86 05 180 shows max opening of 40 mm, so even with the tip protectors on should fit everything on an E61, right?

I hope so because I just ordered myself the 86 01 180 (simple plastic coated handle and in black metal) along with the tip protectors based on the rave reviews here since I've been needing to get a large wrench.

boren (original poster)

#12: Post by boren (original poster) »

I'm about to order the 180mm model and am wondering the same thing. Can anyone check how thick the jaw protectors are? If it's up to 2mm (each protector) it should still be possible to use the current version with the E61 mushroom. If it adds more than 2mm to each side I'll get the 250mm model. Maybe I should get it anyway to be on the safe side...

mikel

#13: Post by mikel »

On my Knipex 180, max width is 40mm without, 37mm with protectors.
On my 250, it's 51mm without, 47.5mm with.

You can still generate torque at their max, but the handles are spread apart enough that it is.....kinda not great if you need a lot of torque. I just finished using them for tightening things after some heat cycles, where I can't always get two fixed wrenches into a space. They are great for griping one side at whatever angle you can, while tightening the other side you can access better, with the fixed wrench. Given the need to sometimes grip where you can, I'd steer away from using the max width and get the next larger size.
★ Helpful

boren (original poster)

#14: Post by boren (original poster) »

mikel wrote:On my Knipex 180, max width is 40mm without, 37mm with protectors.
On my 250, it's 51mm without, 37.5mm with.
Thanks for checking! Is it 37.5mm or 47.5mm with protectors for the 250? 37.5mm would imply the protectors for the larger model are much thicker than they are for the smaller one.

mikel

#15: Post by mikel »

My error. Updated to 47.5mm.

boren (original poster)

#16: Post by boren (original poster) »

Perfect! So I'll order the 250mm version :-)

baldheadracing
Team HB

#17: Post by baldheadracing »

Pressino wrote:... Hopefully some are still making the "old style" box end hex wrenches and sockets. I'm glad I still have mine. Is it the case that all new wrenches use this flank drive, or do some still offer good quality wrenches with the old "standard" design? Emphasis is on "good quality," i.e. built as well as my 40+ year old Craftsman & S-K wrenches. :roll:
Some would say that there is little available now at the quality of older Craftsman, S-K, etc., at their respective price points, but I think that is a sweeping generalization. FYI, the Project Farm YouTube channel has included vintage Craftsman and S-K wrenches in tests of current wrenches.

As for "old style," I haven't see anything other than tools for soft materials or for very large sizes. However, I no longer keep up with the broader tool market. Unfortunately, tools are one of those things that I used to justify buying "just in case I'll need it and it's on sale." Fortunately, I cured myself of this with my last purchase - a Wera Koloss (1/2" drive ratchet wrench that is also a hammer) that I have, um, never used. It was on sale for a great price, though :oops:.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

bostonbuzz

#18: Post by bostonbuzz »

Definitely have a set of proper wrenches. But once you buy a knipex, you will soon have many of them stashed in your car, boat, etc. so you are never without one they are so fabulous.
LMWDP #353

BaristaMcBob

#19: Post by BaristaMcBob »

Their specs say that they can be used on polished chrome without worry. However, they also sell red plastic jaw covers so as to not mar polished chrome. Not every Knipex can accommodate the jaw cover, though.

Do I need to get those red covers or can I use a Knipex Plier/Wrench on polished chrome as is?

Jeff
Team HB

#20: Post by Jeff »

I never found the face of the jaws to mar the chrome.

However, the tips of the jaws can definitely take a chunk out of the panel behind the group.