Restoring/Modding La Spaziale Professionale DB

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
RistrettoCapp

#1: Post by RistrettoCapp »

I'm in the final steps of restoring a nice double boiler, including bringing it up to date in some areas.

So far:

I've stripped the machine completely down to single components and cleaned/descaled everything - nuts, bolts, panels, boilers, etc.

Had the side panels powder coated white

Installed new boiler elements

Replaced the old thermostat with a PID with a high precision PT100 sensor

Updated the toggle power switch to a pushbutton with ring LED

All new wiring with 600v high temp wires, including 2 SSRs to control PID to the brew boiler and mains power.

The original lacked any sort of gauge so i added a dual readout gauge, showing pressure for both boilers.

New GICAR controller - old one died.

Updated the front panel with a new cnc
machined piece, also powder coated white.(I had initially overlayed the original panel with carbon fiber but the epoxy was bad and didn't cure properly - Mfr accepted it as a return, it was so bad - so went with a new custom made panel instead)

TO DO
Finishing wiring and mounting the final SSR and 12v power (for LED and power switch).

I plan to add an IEC 60320 c14 power socket on the back with an updated power cord. TBD

I also plan to update the steam knob and portafilter handle to wood offerings, as well as a bottomless portafilter

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Looking like your hard work and effort is paying off - Well done!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

RistrettoCapp (original poster)

#3: Post by RistrettoCapp (original poster) »

I'm sure looking forward to getting it all done and pulling shots!! It pulled good shots before the rebuild, so.. super excited to see what it does after
Thanks for the kind words.

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Post back - I'm interested. I'm sure others are too!

#5: Post by RistrettoCapp (original poster) »

Wrapped up mounting the SSRs today... More tricky than usual as there's precious little room for them and I wanted each to be on a heatsink. One is triggered off the power switch sending 120v to the rest of the components, and a second SSR is for the PID to controll the brew boiler temp.

* There's actually two SSRs in the pic, you can barely see the end of the one behind the pump, turned 90° from the one that's more visible.

Also wrapped up the wiring. With limited space I forewent the idea of line/neutral distribution blocks & ground block and instead used Wago connectors for all terminations - they're rated for 40a at 250v... Should be more than sufficient.

The GICAR is wired and control wires have been run to the front panel.

I'm adding the finish to the back panel and awaiting the arrival of the CNC cut front panel... Then it all gets put together... Can't wait!!

While I'm waiting my brain is noodling on the possible mods for the rancilio rocky that is sitting on the counter... Titan stand, straight shoot, stepless mod, switch bypass and possibly SSP burrs. We'll see!

#6: Post by RistrettoCapp (original poster) »

Assembled the back panel. Just went with matte black on the center accent piece, might end up powder coating it as well... We'll see.
This is the panel, waiting to be attached to the machine... More pics coming soon!

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Very nice work Jesse. I enjoy reviewing all of your pics every time you post something new.
I suspect this might not be the last machine you restore! :mrgreen:

#8: Post by RistrettoCapp (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Thank you! Glad you're enjoying it as much as I am.
This is actually the second one I've done, the first being updates to an older e61 machine.. which was fun. But hopefully there'll be more down the road.

Here's a shot of the custom front panel, created in Illustrator and produced by sendcutsend.com
It's being powder coated now and should be here soon after!

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

It appears from the front panel created with Illustrator that there will be some modifications to the front panel layout.

#10: Post by RistrettoCapp (original poster) replying to BaristaBoy E61 »

Good eyes BaristaBoy E61!

Yes, there are some changes I made when I decided to recreate a new face plate:

1) I swapped the double line PID (which had a shot timer that was not yet integrated and would have been 'fun' to do so, given the GICAR is not made for it) and went with a single line Auber PID - so it's half the height.

2) I removed the metal toggle and red LED for power duties and replaced them with a single Metal push button with Ring LED - cleaner look, same functionality

3) I horizontally centered the PID and GICAR button pads and placed the power button centered, above the PID (now that I have more room there) instead of between the PID and GICAR button pad as the previous Power Switch / LED were located.

I think it made for a more clean overall look, we shall see when it arrives!

I also don't like the original steam knob that.. an ugly, black, ribbed cylinder ... and have been looking for a replacement - though I may have a design I created 3D print.. hopefully I can find one that fits a 7mm d-shaft instead of going that route..

I'd really like to get a wooden steam knob but am too cheap to drop $50 on one! LOL