Restoring 1994 Elektra Espresso Machine

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
andrewx

#1: Post by andrewx »

I recently stumbled across an 1994 Elektra machine that is being offered for $75 locally. I already have an ECM Synchronika which is treating me well, but for $75 I'm temped to pick it up, since I figure I don't have a lot to lose. Unfortunately, I'm not finding much information on the data plate or by searching through Google or the Home Barista forum (other than there are similar Elektra D1 two group models which a few forum members have repaired). Does anyone know what model this machine might be, or can comment on whether it's worth picking up? I'm mainly interested in getting a better understanding of espresso machines, and hopefully repairing it for someone else to enjoy.

Here are two pictures to the machine:

And the actual listing, if someone wants to beat me to it: https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/ ... 72676.html

pootoogoo

#2: Post by pootoogoo »

Hi Andrew,
This seems indeed like the single group version of the D1 model. Very reliable machine, produce great espresso. Maybe a bit too big for home use but definitely a good choice for a small office or shop.
The only thing you're gonna fight to find is the missing small lever for the steam... but maybe you can replace it with a knob one.

mfogliet

#3: Post by mfogliet »

In regards to the missing steam joystick, this is purely speculative, but it looks identical to the one on my 2011 T1. Check Stefano's website for parts listing to be sure.

andrewx (original poster)

#4: Post by andrewx (original poster) »

pootoogoo wrote:Hi Andrew,
This seems indeed like the single group version of the D1 model...
Thanks for taking a look. One thing that confuses me after looking through the postings is that the D1 nameplate calls out "D1" for the Article, whereas the D1 posts show a nameplate with "D1" stamped on it, which leads me to believe this is a Elektra Model "A". Unfortunately I can't find anything about an Elektra "model A". Do you think it's better to consider this a D1 from a repair perspective? It seems like these machines are pretty minimal on electronics, so I assume a hydraulic and electronics diagram (perhaps from a sixties model) would be a good start?

Also the machine is rated for 20A at 120V, perhaps with NEMA 5-15P. It'll be interesting to see if there are lower power elements available once I get an idea of the part # / specifications.
In regards to the missing steam joystick, this is purely speculative, but it looks identical to the one on my 2011 T1. Check Stefano's website for parts listing to be sure.
Thanks! The T1 looks pretty different to me.. I assume they both use joystick steam controls? I imagine as long as I can find something that threads into it I should be off to a good start.

I plan on looking at this machine in person later this week.

mfogliet

#5: Post by mfogliet »

andrewx wrote:Thanks! The T1 looks pretty different to me.. I assume they both use joystick steam controls? I imagine as long as I can find something that threads into it I should be off to a good start.
Here's a quick pic

pootoogoo

#6: Post by pootoogoo »

The diagrams and technical sheets from the "sixties" model, that's what I used for my restoration that ended pretty well
... for my baker friend
Maybe the steam lever assembly is the same too (I didn't have to change it so I don't know).