Restoration of an Olympia Cremina - Page 15

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
daevid

#141: Post by daevid »

Doug, Greg -

wow, thanks for your prompt replies!

yep, got the pressure relief valve out of the way and was pretty sure I was good to go with the level glass but wanted to double-check I wasn't missing something before getting tough with it. thanks to Doug's tip, and with a fair amount of elbow grease, the glass put up a good fight but I was finally able to slide it out intact.

and with that, actually, I am ready to reverse the process and put it all back together. the excitement builds. Steve's machine looks pretty darn sharp in black, but I'm sticking with the original brown for now (I've got a thing for "vintage," I guess). maybe next time I tear it down for another gasket replacement I'll send it out for a powder coating. I may not be able to hold off on those wooden handles, though.

thanks much for your assistance, gentlemen. I'm not done yet, so I may be back. but Steve's guide is pretty comprehensive, so hopefully I'll be ok.

cheers,

david

Fullsack

#142: Post by Fullsack »

daevid wrote:I am ready to reverse the process and put it all back together.
Be sure to use a "Roadman," when reinstalling the piston.

DIY-Olympia Cremina piston rod seal "tool" and Fix
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

daevid

#143: Post by daevid »

Doug -

great tip, thanks for looking out. hadn't seen that thread and was pondering potential damage to those gaskets upon installation.

question: any thoughts on the pressure relief valve with respects to tension on the spring? I think I counted ten rotations backing off the upper portion of the valve, so I guess that's what I'll go with when reassembling.

thanks again for all the pointers. can't wait for our first pull...

david

Fullsack

#144: Post by Fullsack replying to daevid »

The Creminas I rebuilt were all previously set 2 1/2 to 3 full turns backed off from fully tightened down.
LMWDP #017

mogogear

#145: Post by mogogear »

I just adjusted my valve on my Olympia Maximatic as it was slightly leaking ( just a wee bit ever so slightly!) at 1.0 bar I counted 7.5 revolutions to remove. I then tightened 1/2 revolution more upon reassembly. It seems to be OK now.

Age of the spring could make this vary from machine to machine- So YMMV
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Fullsack

#146: Post by Fullsack »

On the outside chance that you missed it, there are some great restoration tips on Greg's Oly Twins thread as well:

Rebuilding the Oly twins... a saga
LMWDP #017

peacecup

#147: Post by peacecup »

Doug, on a completely different subject, I did finally respond to your question re: double pulls on the Smackdown thread, just before KS posted his Lusso reviews.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Fullsack

#148: Post by Fullsack replying to peacecup »

Thanks Jack, I'll take a look.
LMWDP #017

IMAWriter

#149: Post by IMAWriter »

Steve...can't tell you how enjoyable (even for a non Lever guy...yet) this thread was. A good guy like you will always have the espresso gods smiling down on you.....eventually! :lol:
Enjoy your machine!
Rob J
Rob
LMWDP #187
www.robertjason.com

KnowGood

#150: Post by KnowGood »

srobinson wrote: And finally, put the siphon tube in the back. This is one of the parts that I had ordered from the factory and as you can see...money well spent since the old one is close to impossible to clean properly:

Sorry to bring up such an old post but my searching for randomness lead me here and seeing this picture made me curious... the old part looks to be mandrel bent. Wondering if in the espresso machine world this would make a difference?
Lyndon
_________
LMWDP #251