I recently received my Elektra MCAL that I shipped myself from Italy, and have had issues dialing in my shots. I would be able to get nice extraction for the first 10 seconds, but at the halfway point of the lever rising it would slow and almost completely stop, leaving me with a horribly overextracted shot if I left it to completion. I decided to look online about it and concluded my spring for my Elektra, from 1991, is weak compared to its original strength. Looking at various forums, I decided to attempt to repair this through using the new spring (post 1997) and see what I can do with it.
I am creating a jig today/tomorrow to remove the old spring, and will include the following parts:
3/4" thick plywood
2 x 1/2" or 3/4" threads with washers and nuts
Dow 111 grease
I ordered my spring from Stefano through a friend who owed me the exact amount for the spring plus shipping.
Hopefully I will be able to begin testing of the new spring later this week and compare the results to prior attempts done by drgary and algue. I am not terribly interested right now in adding a second spring, but we'll see how this will turn out.
Here's the spring. Note in the second pic there is some slight corrosion that I will be cleaning once the spring comes off.