Replacing brew boiler in Profitec Pro 700 - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Jake_G
Team HB

#11: Post by Jake_G »

A 1/8" BSPP plug is nearly free. Just a matter of finding a place that has one in stock.

I don't have any suggestions for Canada, but I'd get mine at Hoseandfittings.com in the US.

Here is a link for one in Stainless Steel.

And here is plated brass.

You'll want a sealing ring to go with the plug, as well.

Hopefully you can find these locally and quickly.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

neutro (original poster)

#12: Post by neutro (original poster) »

Thanks for the hints. Every minor accessory is nearly free, but when it's a surprise, you end up racking endless shipping fees (especially in Canada I guess). That small plug may end up adding another $20 on top of everything else. So I'm trying to make a list of everything that I will need first.

There was no sealing ring on the original boiler, just the one plug.

There is one speciality bolts and nuts store close by that I need to check on (they'll be open Monday) before I order something.

Advertisement
Jake_G
Team HB

#13: Post by Jake_G »

neutro wrote:There was no sealing ring on the original boiler, just the one plug.
The sealing ring would go in between the plug and the boiler, unless the plug has an embedded rubber seal in it.
LMWDP #704

JimH

#14: Post by JimH »

It isn't uncommon for manufacturers to use BSPT fittings on a boiler. For any fitting that will need a specific orientation when installed BSPT and a couple drops of thread lock make it easier for them. It also frequently makes it impossible to reuse the same fitting once it has been removed.

neutro (original poster)

#15: Post by neutro (original poster) »

Jake_G wrote:The sealing ring would go in between the plug and the boiler, unless the plug has an embedded rubber seal in it.
You are absolutely right, my mistake. There is indeed a ring -- it was just stuck on the underside of the plug.
JimH wrote:It isn't uncommon for manufacturers to use BSPT fittings on a boiler. For any fitting that will need a specific orientation when installed BSPT and a couple drops of thread lock make it easier for them. It also frequently makes it impossible to reuse the same fitting once it has been removed.
That's important information. I haven't tried removing the elbow fitting from the original boiler yet, but I should probably order one with the plug just in case.

neutro (original poster)

#16: Post by neutro (original poster) »

On the parts diagram for the ECM Synchronika, which is ECM's sister machine to the Profitec Pro 700, we can see that the *steam boiler* has a part called "blind plug 1/4"M" (#10 on Drawing 4). Should I assume this is what I'm after (part #P2060)? Let's hope ECM/Profitec didn't use two different blind plugs in the same machine.

That store in Greece seems to have it in stock, but I'll see if the usual suspects in Canada have it first.

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

Speaking of the "usual suspects", iDrinkCoffee.com and WholeLatteLove Canada are site sponsors located in Canada.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
neutro (original poster)

#18: Post by neutro (original poster) replying to HB »

Indeed, IDC is a usual suspect. They do have P2060 in stock and have confirmed it's the right part number. I'll wait until all fittings are accounted for before ordering though, just in case I break something or the fittings are unusable on the new boiler.

Didn't know WLL had a Canadian subsidiary now! That's good news.

Jake_G
Team HB

#19: Post by Jake_G »

neutro wrote:On the parts diagram for the ECM Synchronika, which is ECM's sister machine to the Profitec Pro 700, we can see that the *steam boiler* has a part called "blind plug 1/4"M" (#10 on Drawing 4). Should I assume this is what I'm after (part #P2060)? Let's hope ECM/Profitec didn't use two different blind plugs in the same machine.
Well, looking at the coffee boiler image:

It's worth mentioning that the top fittings are all 1/4"M or 1/4"MM fittings, and the bottom fitting is 1/8"M x 1/4"M.

It seems clear to me that the ports on the top of your coffee boiler are larger than the bottom ports. Do you agree?

Likewise, looking at the steam boiler image:

You can see that the elbow on the bottom is the same PN as the elbows that are on the top of the coffee boiler. Makes me think the larger steam boiler has 1/4" fittings on the bottom and the smaller coffee boiler has 1/8" fittings.

Easy verification is to see if the plug from the bottom of your boiler fits into the port at the top. If it does, the part called out on the Synch should fit. But if it's too small, just give one of the companies Dan me toned a call and see if they have that plug in 1/8" size.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

neutro (original poster)

#20: Post by neutro (original poster) »

Good point, I'll try the plug on top first. But I'd say the holes on the bottom are smaller than the holes on top as far as I can see.

It's bugging me that the plug on the coffee boiler doesn't appear in any diagram. I know there's a plug after the ball valve in the new drain thing, but it could be of a different size as well.

EDIT: Well, well. I changed the URL for the store in Greece from https://www.barista.gr/en/plug-14 to https://www.barista.gr/en/plug-18 and lo and behold: the 1/8" plug does exist. It appears in Diagram 1 for the Synchronika as a plug for the drain tray.

The nice thing is that I have the same drain tray, with the same plug, so I'll be able to compare to see if the plug is the same size.