Repairing old Faema Faemina

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Faema

#1: Post by Faema »

Hello everyone! My first post here :)

I've got an old Faema espresso machine. (The label reads : Faema Faemina, Milano, Officine) (Another label reads: Venturo and Made in Italy and gives #14196, Volt 110, P - empty, and W- 1000).
I have not owned any espresso machines before, and I want to start now.

This one might be made out of copper, I am not sure. It has an European plug and needs rewiring.

I am not sure where can I repair / rewire it. It looks like it has not been used for a very long time, maybe ten years or more.

I am also not sure if I will be able to use it at all/ if it is reparable and how to use it. Where do I fill the water for example, etc?

Thank you for your help!!

Faema

wsfarrell

#2: Post by wsfarrell »

If you use this site's search function and look for "faemina rebuild," you'll get lots of hits, like this one by the legendary Vakse Viggo:

Faema Faemina rebuild

Good luck!

Beaniac

#3: Post by Beaniac »

summer

#4: Post by summer »

grog

#5: Post by grog »

Here's another gold standard resto to read through:

Faema Faemina Risurrezione!
LMWDP #514

redbone

#6: Post by redbone »

That F.F. looks like it spent some time either submerged or in a very damp environment judging by its condition.

Two ways to go about this :
1) Repair whereby you do some cosmetic cleanup but do a full rewire, seal \ gasket replacement and full interior cleaning and polishing.
2) Full refurbish including re-chroming outer boiler, boiler wrap, PF, lid and lever.
The difference in price is substantial since re-chroming or similar is expensive but yields the best results.

The links above are great. I would recommend a specialized tool to remove the piston sleeve. Found here at bottom right of page. http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Faidate/diy-faema.htm

A worthy effort for any espresso fan.

The F.Faemina spring lever with its innate brew profile makes for an excellent repeatable espresso.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

redbone wrote:I would recommend a specialized tool to remove the piston sleeve. Found here at bottom right of page. http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Faidate/diy-faema.htm
When I checked in June, it wasn't available and I'd been meaning to make one using PVC and some rods, but thanks to you I just pulled the trigger on the sleeve tool on Francesco's site (along with more gaskets) so I can rebuild my Faemina which started leaking out the top of the group where the shaft exits the group.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

redbone

#8: Post by redbone replying to yakster »

Excellent, glad I could help and good to have supporters of the F.Faemina.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549