Removing conversion ring from Bunnzilla Ditting burr

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
nnmlrl

#1: Post by nnmlrl »

Does anyone have any experience or advice on how to remove the press fit conversion ring of a Bunnzilla ditting burr from Mill City? I started my Bunnzilla project a few weeks ago. While I was waiting for the Bunnzilla burr to arrive from Mill City, a local cafe closed down and I got a Ditting KR804 from them. I am thinking to remove the ring so that I can use it on the KR804 later. I only have some primitive tools so I am not sure if that will be easy.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I assume the ring is aluminium, place the burr on a cup in a 200 degree oven and it might just fall off. Carefully heating the ring with a heat gun or small torch might also do the same thing. be careful not to get the burr too hot.

Ira

OldNuc

#3: Post by OldNuc »

Heat the aluminum ring and it will fall off. Heat gun works best for this.

nnmlrl (original poster)

#4: Post by nnmlrl (original poster) »

Oh that sounds easy :) Let me try this weekend.Thank you ira and OldNuc.

OldNuc

#5: Post by OldNuc »

The trick is to heat the ring fast enough while the steel is still cool. It is not real hard to pull off with a good heat gun, a torch will not work as well as even heating is much more difficult. You want the ring to expand evenly, not egg shaped.

nnmlrl (original poster)

#6: Post by nnmlrl (original poster) »

I tried a couple of times with the heat gun's nozzle pointing at the ring, but the ring stayed. I tried different speeds of circulating around the ring. It looked like no matter what I did, the steel burr still heated up very quickly... Perhaps I was heating it for too long.

ncrc51

#7: Post by ncrc51 »

No experience with this particular situation but some with other machinery. A heat shield over the steel part while using the heat gun might do the trick. Shield could be heat tolerant gasket material or due to the lower temps something like heavy gauge aluminum foil may work.

nnmlrl (original poster)

#8: Post by nnmlrl (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion every one. I decided to sell the burrs with the conversion ring attached to fund my other projects.