Urbanic 070s Alignment & Stepless

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Bluenoser

#1: Post by Bluenoser »

Anyone know how to remove the knob from an Urbanic 070s grinder.. Thought it was removing the knob in the middle.. but it doesn't seem to lift off and I don't want to break the plastic.. I don't see any "C" clip or anything.. Want to make it stepless..

mhayze

#2: Post by mhayze »

I was considering the 070s after watching Lance's video, but I had the same question. I noticed that the knob on their website and on Amazon look different from Lance's video. The one on Amazon has no center screw hole exposed, unlike in Lance's video. Yours does - do you mind letting us know when you got it? Did it have a sticker or metal decal covering the center?
To answer your question, while I don't know for sure, is there a screw in the middle (torx?) or on the back of the assembly?

Bluenoser (original poster)

#3: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

There is a sticker on the centre of knob. Just peel that off and you get what is in photo. I just got mine from us amazon site. It was shipped from urbanic from korea

#4: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

Okay.. answered my own question.. got the knob off.. You can rotate it clockwise and lift up at the same time and it will come off. The teeth in the wheel shown below seem to press fit very snug into the knob.

Aligning Stock Burrs
You can bend up the tooth shown so grinder can go finer. Then you can power up and use the motor to help with alignment.. Or you can just turn the top burr assembly by hand.

My top burr carrier was pretty well aligned.. but the stationary one was way off. I used a double-layer tinfoil to align as per videos by Lance and others. However, there is not symmetric support for the stationary burr and I found the top of the burr (as looked at from the bottom) was supported by much less surface area in the grinder housing than the bottom of the burr. I would say this is a weakness in this design as I had to use 8 layers of tinfoil to get that edge of the burr to be even. I didn't take a picture of it.(and now with all the shims I won't disassemble :( ). So aligning this burr took 3 tries and I got about 85-90%. I used about 5 shims ranging from 8 to 6 to 4 layers. 1 x 8, then 2 x 6 on either side, then 2 x 4 on either side. Not sure if this was best.. but seemed logical.

I could not figure out how to remove the tooth mechanism below and remove the pin. So it is still stepped with no restriction on the minimum setting.

I would say this is good value grinder.. It would be super with an option of a hopper and bellows option that you could specify on purchase, without having to buy the one that xeoleo sell.. That bellows is about 60$ here. I use a makeshift bellows in the large hopper and can get a wide range of retention from +.5 to -.7. There are a few areas inside where the grinds can pool. But for an entry level flat.. I'm happy with it. Seems pretty solid in build.

I've been pulling shots with it and my monolith MC3 (before I aligned it). Had a medium roast, natural, Brazil from Cafune.ca. (Cerrado, MinasGerais) and got really nice caramel flavours. It compared pretty well with the MC3. I get a thicker body with the MC3; but really liked the taste from the 070. I haven't had it long and I don't profess to having a great palate so take the observations with that in mind.I will say this is the first Brazilian bean I've had with this unique taste. I plan to order more.

mhayze

#5: Post by mhayze »

Thanks for the info and photos, glad you were able to get the thing apart. I just ordered direct from urbanic and will be ordering the "Gevy" burrs and bellows soon. All I need to figure out is a stand that fits my Acaia scale below it for weighted dosing into a portafilter as alternative to single dosing.
I nearly ordered the DF64 but it seems to be out of stock from the US distributor and it is really only for single dosing and more expensive.
I am waiting for my Sette 270wi to be repaired at which point hopefully I will be able to compare the two and decide whether I keep both or get rid of one.

#6: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

I had a new conical (MC3) so sold my Sette 270, which exactly paid for the 070. I've started to do V60 pour overs and so have been using the 070 for that mostly.. with the odd espresso. The noise and reliability of the plastic gear train of the Sette drove me nuts, but the grind was good. I've only had the 070 for about 3 weeks.. But seems good for the price. I considered the DF64 but was just looking for a flat to play around with.

#7: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) »

Finally made the machine stepless..

You can remove the centre screw in knob and turn hard counter-clockwise and will unscrew the main thread .. I removed and put 2 layers of teflon tape and reinserted.. Hard to get knob back on and calibrated so the MIN setting has burrs just touching.. I'm at about 2 for touch.. But seems like it is stepless. Will have to use for a few weeks to see. The silver pin will drop out and I just taped it and spring with it underneath the grinder.

I've found the hand screws will loosen sometimes and then the whole adjustment goes off.. I'll have to check this tightness more often ..

Have had a hard time getting grind fine enough for my Pro500 HX, but I think I have just not had enough adjustment to play with. I'll try again this week.

I'm finding it is not a great single dosing grinder as I get quite different amounts of retention each dose.

mhayze

#8: Post by mhayze »

Good stuff. Regarding the drift, in the review, there was a mention that the Urbanic could benefit from the "tape mod" to avoid drift if made stepless - I assume that is what you did with the teflon tape? I just got mine, so thank you for paving the way, plan to align burrs and make mine stepless too this weekend.

#9: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) replying to mhayze »

Yes.. hard to see in the light in the pic above, but the right part of pic is unscrewing the unit with the teeth.. there is no tape on that.. On the left I wound about 2 layers of teflon tape and screwed it back on.. I made sure when I screwed it down, there was significantly more resistance than without the tape.. Now screwing it down bunches up the tape and it took me about 3 tries of unwinding, removing and rewinding new tape to get it screwed back in without the teflon tape bunching up.

#10: Post by Bluenoser (original poster) replying to Bluenoser »

Dialing in a medium roast bean is about 2 units from burrs touching with the beans I currently have.. give you some idea of my setting. Each bean is slightly different. I use that for my HX and my Robot.