Refinishing base on La Pavoni Europiccola ca 1972 - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Yankee Junkman (original poster)

#11: Post by Yankee Junkman (original poster) »

Thanks alslaw and all who have commented on my post.

To clarify, it's not that I *expected" to hear people cheer me on to a half-assed, make-do, patch-it-up-and-steady-on schlock job, bit I confess I *hoped* I might hear a voice or two reassuring me that this was an okay course to pursue.

I really appreciate your thoughts, and can report that you've persuaded me! I will do it right.

For the moment (i.e. before I have the correct parts kit in hand, the required and recommended tools and materials sourced - including the new wiring with ground - etc.) I will continue using it as-is, getting better acquainted with its habits and moods, refining my technique, etc.

All part of the 2-4 week plan of breaking it down, sending the base out for refinishing (sounds like powder coat is the way to go?) and the lever out for rechroming, and doing all the other needful.

Thanks again. To be continued.

Chris

P.S.: My model has its original Italian two-wire cord, no on/off switch. On the base I have the minimo/massimo switch.

I'd rather not modify the switch (mostly because the original sole switchplate is so beautiful) but is there a way to get an on-off switch so I don't have to plug and unplug it all the time? Is there a grounded cord with an in-line switch? Drill a new hole in the base before it's powdercoated and install an on-off switch (with pilot light) there?

Thoughts?

Advertisement
NicaDon

#12: Post by NicaDon »

On my 1972 I use a Gardner Bender GSW-117 On-Off-On switch and have the original saved for posterity. I'm still using the original mínimo massimo switch plate so it's not too jarring. Having to plug and unplug the machine with each use makes no sense from a practical or aesthetic standpoint but I miss the elegance of the original.
LMWDP #730

Alslaw

#13: Post by Alslaw »

You can also just get a power cord that has an on/off switch on it. As mentioned, you may be able to clean up a lot of the chrome and just keep it clean ... you may not need to fully rechrome it. Id give the semichrome a shot before you send it off for rechroming. But I would definitely powdercoat the base. I got a few quotes on the ones I've done, and they typically run $75-$150 here in Southern California.
LMWDP # 606