Rebuilding a La San Marcos 85 - Help please.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ProfHerb

#1: Post by ProfHerb »

I just bought a 2004 LSM 85. I'm trying to find a manual. There is a link to a manual on this site but it times out and will not load. This is my first foray into restoring a cappuccino machine. I've restored cars with the help of manuals and experts. I'm very ignorant of the systems involved in my LSM. I hooked it up to RO filtered water and plugged it in. Lights come on and I hear solenoids firing. I've opened it up and I don't see anything that resembles a pump. I've read references about an external pump. There is an extra wire besides the power cord that's hot when I push certain switches. I realize these are really ignorant questions. A manual would go a long way to help.
Thanks!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I can't help you with a manual, but I can give a hint on the pump. Commercial machines often locate the pump remotely. There will be switched power coming from the machine for the motor. The pump usually connects with braided line to a threaded fitting. Check the threads carefully. They are often parallel BSPP and not the tapered NPT.

ProfHerb (original poster)

#3: Post by ProfHerb (original poster) »

Thanks! Here might I find specs on this pump?

#4: Post by ProfHerb (original poster) »

I bought a LSM 85 and it did not include the pump. I have a new March, magnetic drive pump (MDX-MT3) with the following specs:
Max Flow 8 GPM 30 LPM
Max Head 16 FT 3.5 M

Any idea how this compares with the stock pump? Think I could use it?

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

I'm no engineer, but the conversion calculator for meters head pressure to bar gets 0.34 bar for 3.5 meters head pressure. You're looking for 12 bar.
Jim Schulman

#6: Post by ProfHerb (original poster) »

I'm tearing into this LSM 85. The boiler looks pretty clean. I could take it completely out and sandblast the insides. Do you recommend I do anything to it? There is some oxidation on some of the copper especially the small diameter coil. Heating element is shot. I rigged up the pump assembly from a motor I had and a pump on eBay. Is the portafilter 54bmm based on the measurement of the cup? Any advise would be very much appreciated. Please forgive my ignorance. Thanks!

Mad Scientist

#7: Post by Mad Scientist »

I did a rebuild on mine. La San Marco 85-16M Practical rebuild
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day
Londinium 1 (2014)

#8: Post by ProfHerb (original poster) »

I'm making progress: 1) cleaned the boiler 2) installed a new heating element (old one was burned out)

When I first plugged in this machine the touchpad worked. Now it doesn't. I replaced the two green switches. I took pictures of the wiring before I replaced the switches but the pictures weren't great. Can anyone confirm that my wires are correct? Other ideas of why the touchpad no longer works?

Thanks!