Rebuild Quickmill Vetrano HX or upgrade?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
rcj

#1: Post by rcj »

Hi all,

First post here. I have a 2007 QM Vetrano HX machine that has been trouble free for 12 years (!), but recently developed a small leak. After opening up the machine I see corrosion on the heating element. I think minimally I'd need to pull the boiler to replace the heating element and boiler insulation, and replace all the rubber bits (o-rings, washers, etc. -- the washer to the water supply line crumbled when I disconnected the machine).

Looking at this forum after 10+ years away, I see a lot has changed! Should I invest time in rebuilding the vetrano? I typically make 3-5 lattes a day, so perhaps I'd enjoy a modern double boiler machine?

Here's a photo of the inside of the vetrano showing its current condition. You can see the white powder coming of the heating element at the bottom, and see the general brittleness of the insulation. From pulling the mushroom there isn't much scale.

Thanks,
-Richard

Neto

#2: Post by Neto »

It doesnt look that bad to be honest.. I would open the boiler, clean everything and replace the heating element gasket. If the machine turns on and heats up, the heating element should be ok.

rcj (original poster)

#3: Post by rcj (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply! I think the machine can be restored (was working fine until the small leak started). The heating element isn't aligned with the access panel, so I think I'll need to pull the boiler out to remove the element. Doesn't look too difficult, though. I think I'll start by replacing the element, gasket, boiler insulation, supply line washer, and fixing the small leak. Here's a photo of the underside of the heating element, showing the corroded terminal.

black85vette

#4: Post by black85vette »

Not sure but it looks like it is leaking around one of the heater terminals not the gasket. This may require a new element. This is not a difficult job but a compressor and impact driver are useful. Plus the socket to fit the element. Give Chris's Coffee a call, they can confirm and then get you the part you need. Good news is that Quick Mill is well supported and parts available. No reason not to rebuild / repair if it is in good condition. I recently rebuilt my Andreja Premium and it is like new again.

<edit> take LOTS of pictures and label all wires so you know where they came from.

mokava

#5: Post by mokava »

Amazingly pristine looking internals. Probably the insulation and plastic caps are 'do-not-touch' museum kind. But all the works are like new! That little limescale around the mushroom shows a good water care too, so the boiler might be in good fit too.

Where was it leaking? At the heating elem?

The white powdery thing is probably zinc or aluminum oxide, looks like the heating elem is not copper sheathed. I wonder if it's just the exterior part of the terminal affected or also what's internal to the boiler. The heating elem's nut is fairly thick, so perhaps the corrosion ate only what's outside.
There must be a harline crack somewhere in the elem's base.

A replacement heating elem and a bit of dedication to swap it should let your machine serve you hopefully another decade in return for this good care. If you decide to go on with this, then it'd also make sense to replace the common expendables, not sure if wires indeed need replacement after just a decade.

Good luck and tasty brews!

rcj (original poster)

#6: Post by rcj (original poster) »

We have very soft water here, so very little scale. I've pulled the boiler and now need to figure out how to hold the boiler securely so I can remove the heating element. I'm hesitant to just clamp it down in a bench vice. Will search online for a solution.

In the meantime, this looks like it's turning into a long-term, father-daughter engineering project, so I've decided it's time to upgrade. I'm sure I'll do a better job fixing the old machine if I'm not in a hurry to get it working.

MemPast

#7: Post by MemPast »

Take the boiler to a mechanic shop. They will unscrew it in a moment. As in the above posts, you will most likely need air impact drill if you are going to do it yourself.