Rebuild a Faema Carisma

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
avn3

#1: Post by avn3 »

hello

got myself a faema carisma in a bad condition, group diffuser is stuck
magnet sensor in tank not working and etc..

machine was sitting for a few years with no usage

i started repairing it starting with cleaning the group, i dont want to change, metal part there, only gasket.

the problem is that the machine pumping water all the time from stating int and it goes straight to the drip try from opv/solenoid

the machine maintained pressure with clogged group so it's not the opv, it started after i cleaned the group so i think it the filling tap stuck, so i took apart the cross fitting in the picture and i guess the threads are damaged

where can i find this fitting and what is the threads (npt bsp or what?)

also what is this problem of continues pumping water sound like?
i dont think thats the water level sensor in boiler - because before cleaning the group water did not go to drip try

see attached part

avn3 (original poster)

#2: Post by avn3 (original poster) »

After cleaning the inlet valve the problem remains the same

The pump is constant working and pumping water to drip tray

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

From which valve?
Pumping constantly to tray over the OPV? From the common of a three-way solenoid?

You said "the problem is that the machine pumping water all the time from stating int and it goes straight to the drip try from opv/solenoid", Do you mean that the Boiler-fill 2-way Solenoid valve should be open because you think it's trying to do a boiler fill, but the solenoid isn't open, so it's relieving over the OPV and going to tray?
Have you checked for a magnetic field at the boiler-fill solenoid? You know, with a screwdriver tip or something? Have you confirmed it has voltage?

Secondly, you said "i dont think thats the water level sensor in boiler - because before cleaning the group water did not go to drip try"
Well, was the boiler maybe full enough before cleaning, and needing boiler-refill after?

Lastly, I think that cross fitting is probably a d=3/8 BSPP X4 of https://shop.serto.com/en/unions/stainl ... ion-..html
But That's just a guess based on the 3/8 stamp visible. I'd like to see a picture of it without the compression nuts covering the ends to make sure that it has the same compression end type as yours. Although, in your pic, it seems like only the one side is being used for its compression fitting ability and that the other three ways are wrapped in teflon, so who knows. Could be a previous owner's failure, or intentional mis-use of the fitting due to availability.

avn3 (original poster)

#4: Post by avn3 (original poster) »

thanks for your input

as for the solenoid, i tested it and i works.

i tested the machine again and water was pumping into the boiler and very slowly to the group, steam was working and also water from the water tap, but after letting water out from the tap the phenomenon started again.

the phenomenon: machine pumping water very slowly to the drip trip from the pump outlet - i need to say that this was exactly what happened when i firstly tested the machine after cleaning the group -the machine was building pressure with no problem - and after cleaning and start using the tap the phenomenon occur

i started checking the way from the pump to the boiler and found out the the copper tube from the solenoid to the boiler was clogged with scale - see pictures. from there the way was short to remove the boiler and clean it in axor descaler

now i am in the part of cleaning the parts and before assembly there are some questions:

1. should i use teflon tape on the fittings - and how much layers - 3-4 or more or less?
2. should i use a threadlocker instead of tape?
3. how hard to close the fittings (hard to answer on line but maybe a thumb rule)

JRising
Team HB

#5: Post by JRising »

In your photos it shows all of the tubes having flare fittings, so no. Don't put anything onto the fittings to interfere with the threads.

Additionally, in the photo with the grouphead valves, your pre-infusion valve's rubber is badly mis-shapen and "muffin topping"out of the valve, I would inspect all three valves and replace them if less than perfect. It's hard to judge the others from the photo that doesn't show the faces.

avn3 (original poster)

#6: Post by avn3 (original poster) »

after assembling the machine opv was the main problem cleaning and tuning solve the issue

problem now is that i need to do a flaring for one pipe , of course its the coffee tube lf part 5123890

about the gaskets in the group, now that i know that the machine is working i will also replace group parts

just thinking if to do flaring or order the part itself, i need to know the flaring tool needed