Reassembling E61 Lever: Mistakenly removed level while in down position

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
tk_coffee

#1: Post by tk_coffee »

After cleaning with Cafiza, I had a squeaky and rough feeling lever. I thought I would lubricate things to fix it. I mistakenly removed the cam lever while it was in the down (off) position. It seems most tutorials say to begin with the handle in the middle position. Pretty sure that's where I screwed up. It was difficult to get the lever out, since the cam was lodged between the two valves (at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions). But I pulled and it came out. I lubed everything up, but now when reassembling, it's pretty much impossible to get the cam lever back into place between the two valves. Any advice for how to reassemble this thing? Do I have to do open heart E61 surgery now? Is it best to take it to a technician?

Thanks for any and all advice in advance.
-Thomas

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
BruceWayne
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by BruceWayne »

I haven't done it yet myself, but this video looks very useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb7Gub7r1DI

I think he removes the waste outlet specifically to make it easier to reinsert the cam.

bronsht

#3: Post by bronsht »

I was tutored by a forum member as follows: Take out the other valves. Install the lever unit first. Test that it operates up and down. Now put the lever in the down position and then install the upper valve. Test the throw of the lever. Now move the lever to the up position. Now install the lower unit. Test the lever up and down.

JRising

#4: Post by JRising »

I agree with "Drop the lower valve section out, then insert cam, then reinsert valves".

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

BruceWayne wrote:I haven't done it yet myself, but this video looks very useful.

video

I think he removes the waste outlet specifically to make it easier to reinsert the cam.
Yup, that's what I do. For what it's worth, the first time one does this it takes a while. After a few tried, it's only a 10-minute job at most to pull the cam, lube it and reinstall.

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

Have a look here http://coffeetimex.wikidot.com/e61-group-servicing. It's pretty easy once you've done it one time.

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

In many E61s the cam should go in even if the rest of the group is assembled. Most have just a bit of play in the lever in the 'centered' position.

For more detail on the E-61 group, see these two articles on my website:

How-To 18 - Simple Lubrication of the E-61 Group - This one covers just the removal of the control lever assembly.

How-To 19 - Overhauling and Lubricating the E-61 Group
File them away for future reference.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
*20th Anniversary 2000-2020*

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
tk_coffee (original poster)

#8: Post by tk_coffee (original poster) »

Thank you all for the helpful video links. I managed to get it back together successfully by removing the lower valve section which made room to get the cam back in place.