Rancilio Silvia V2 leaking

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
anidozo1217

#1: Post by anidozo1217 »

Hello,
I am having a cascade of issues with my Silvia. I recently replaced the grouphead gasket which seemed to go fine (but I include this here because the main issue began a short while after this). I was able to pull great shots again for about a week. Then a new issue started - when the machine is turned on it begins heating up as it should. It sounds a bit "gurgly" as it is heating, and then starts to spit water through the grouphead (It is only powered on - the "brew" button is off). The more it heats, the more water spurts out and then it mostly turns to steam. It seems to reach temperature because the heat light turns off, and I turn on the brewer. You can hear the pump kick on and it lets out some water/steam, but only for a few seconds as I think most of the heated water has already exited.

At first I was convinced it must be a leak from something I had to have done wrong with the gasket. When I took the screen off however there is nothing that comes out of the gasket area. It comes out right in the middle (where the screw for the screen enters), just at the wrong time. I don't have the money to keep throwing parts at it, so am hopeful that someone might be able to help me narrow down what it could be. Any thoughts?? I am very much a newbie with taking the machine apart to diagnose, but my next thought was to see if the boiler may be cracked/leaking. Would it still heat the water up to full temperature if so?

I appreciate any feedback anyone has, thank you!

amateurdad

#2: Post by amateurdad »

Sounds like the 3 way solenoid is letting some water pass by when it is not activated.

It's easy enough to remove for cleaning / inspection.

anidozo1217 (original poster)

#3: Post by anidozo1217 (original poster) »

Nice! It seems the spring around the solenoid is busted, so maybe that's the culprit! Will be wonderful if it's that easy of a fix! Thank you!

#4: Post by anidozo1217 (original poster) »

Hi amateurdad, I was wondering if you have any experience with replacing the spring on the solenoid? Nobody sells just the spring. I have been trying alternate springs, and that stops the leaking, but the water either is coming out slow or not at all. I'm guessing I'll have to replace the entire3 way valve, but if there's any chance of being able just replace the spring I have to give it a try!

JRising
Team HB

#5: Post by JRising »

Why not just replace the valve and NOT continue to have problems?

#6: Post by anidozo1217 (original poster) »

Yeah, I guess that's the point I'm at. Seemed like it might be a simple and cheap $2 fix versus $90 new part, but gotta throw in the towel at some point!

NinaO

#7: Post by NinaO »

I found espressocare.com carries one of the largest selection of parts including springs. As they actually rebuild , perhaps you could contact them as they do carry many different types of springs, and also know the silvia inside and out.