Rancilio Silvia v1 shower holder stuck!

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
MissMandy

#1: Post by MissMandy »

Hi all,

I'm a brand newbie when it comes to espresso machine (or any machine for that matter) maintenance. To the point where I had to google what a gasket is

Anyway, I've been gifted a Rancilio Silvia machine that I think is a v1. It works beautifully but needs a solid clean. I've removed the shower screen and this was what was underneath it (photo below).

Looking at a parts diagram, there seems to be a missing water distributor (700347), although I'm not certain of that (can anyone clarify?).

My main concern however is that the group head gasket (700151) and shower holder (620638) are stuck and I can't seem to remove them, no matter what I try. Unfortunately, I don't have a blind filter basket to backflush the machine and the only Australian supplier is out of stock and not receiving any more. I figured backflushing and letting the group head soak might loosen some gunk and make it easier to remove. But I'm now at a loss...

Do you have any other advice on how to remove this part!? Or am I going about this completely wrong?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

The shower holder (620638) is part of the grouphead on v1 machines. It does not exist as a separate piece on a v1. The diagram shows a later version of the machine/grouphead.

You should have a jet breaker (700347).

The group gasket looks baked in and, if so, then you'll have to chip out the rock-hard gasket with a chisel/knife/screwdriver. Some heat might also help with removal.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

MissMandy (original poster)

#3: Post by MissMandy (original poster) »

Thank you!

Any tips on how to remove the gasket around the shower holder? I assume it's petrified.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing replying to MissMandy »

The first thing I would try is get some wood or sheet metal screws and screw one into the gasket. Grab the head of the screw with pliers and try to pull the gasket out.

However, your gasket looks like it may need more force, as Stefano demonstrates (note his comments at 1:25 in):
Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

MissMandy (original poster)

#5: Post by MissMandy (original poster) »

Thank you! Excellent idea and great video