Rancilio Silvia: V1 boiler + 2013 heating element? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Norvin

#11: Post by Norvin »

Eightpointnine (original poster)

#12: Post by Eightpointnine (original poster) »

Might be. If the 55mm measurement is the distance between each center of the two prongs, then its too short of a distance. But its hard to know for sure without having it in front of you...

If the holes aren't perfectly matched up with the existing ones, you might as well go with the new heating element.

stefano65
Sponsor

#13: Post by stefano65 »

We sell and have several customers installing usefully the one for the US and related countries voltage with no major alterations,
the only note from a customer that we have
is that he needed to grind down slightly the little lump on the boiler were there is a small rise for the OPV/water line fitting, apart from that no issues
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#14: Post by baldheadracing replying to stefano65 »

-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#15: Post by Eightpointnine (original poster) »

Hmm...looks close enough. I'm not very knowledgeable in terms of wattage and voltage though. The standard one is 110v and 800watts...I have no idea if its safe to deviate on the voltage. I think it is for the wattage so long as it isn't too far off.

#16: Post by Eightpointnine (original poster) »

Ha! Thanks! This is wonderful...they are in Montreal...its where I live! I'll be able to save 20$+tx on shipping!

#17: Post by Eightpointnine (original poster) »

Well folks, I was able to get a Faema family heating element that fits (more or less) the wattage and voltage (115volts, 900 watts for the faema, vs 110volts 800watts for the original Silvia) for about 85$ CAD.

This is a two pronged heating element much like the original and to my surprise I was able to drill through the brass with a 1/2 inch / 12.7 mm standard drill bit with a regular old hand drill without too much effort and a little patience; The result was very satisfactory and I've managed to install the heating element into the boiler.

Question : I don't see any indication that one of the two poles has a polarity. Is it safe to assume that I can attach either the positive or negative wire from the Silvia's power supply to either pole?

I think it IS safe, because even on the modern 2013+ heating element you can't see which is which on the poles themselves...but I would love a confirmation before I fry my Silvia!

Cheers again,
Alex

baldheadracing
Team HB

#18: Post by baldheadracing »

There's no polarity.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

#19: Post by Eightpointnine (original poster) »

Cheers!