Rancilio Silvia slow brew/low pressure

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
kirbykollege

#1: Post by kirbykollege »

First time here! Just received an old broken Silvia V2 that's been in storage for 7 years. I got it running by replacing the pump and brew thermostat, but I'm now realizing the flow is very slow now that I'm tamping properly. I've read through many similar posts but am unsure of a solution. Here's where i'm at now:
I've taken apart the 3-way valve and cleaned the openings and found no clogs.
Definitely not the pump as it's brand new.
Cleaned the grouphead thoroughly.
Bought coffee from a local shop and had them grind it with their grinder so I'm not thinking it's the grind.
It seems to pour fine if I barely tamp it and even has crema, but any more than 1 pound of pressure and a double shot can take 3 minutes.

BenH

#2: Post by BenH »

My guess would be the grind. Like all espresso machines you need to be able to tailor the grind size to get good results. The difference between it being so fine it chokes the machine and too course so it's a gusher is surprisingly small. The correct grind size drifts over time as well. A coffee shop can't know the right size for your machine and dose.

If you have a grinder I would try going a bit coarser.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end
★ Helpful

kirbykollege (original poster)

#3: Post by kirbykollege (original poster) »

Some follow up: I got in my backflush detergent and backflushed for the first time. I had to run it at least 50 times before the water turned clear and not brown so there must've been some nasty buildup. I took out the shower plate and the brass looking plate above it and found they were awful, looking covered in green algae stuff and did some serious cleaning. The shower plate backside was completely clogged with coffee residue that was as hard as rubber, and took the entire afternoon to clean out with detergent, and needle, and steel wool. I figured I solved the issue now, but alas, all of this did not seem to change the flow rate.

BenH

#4: Post by BenH »

Based on your comment it makes me wonder the state inside the boiler and tubes. I guess a thorough clean of all the parts in the water path are in order.

I assume you've given it a good descale.