Rancilio Silvia Leaking? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
krotor1 (original poster)

#11: Post by krotor1 (original poster) »

I have two white wires "with no stripping" joined together into one connector going to the 3-way. When I turned it on as suggested there was no leaking untill after I shut everything off and then it was leaking just as before.
I didn't do the last part of the test due to the results of the first?
Then to stop the leaking I open the steam valve (knob) and it stops again.

erics
Supporter ★

#12: Post by erics »

The last part was not a test - it was designed to rapidly cycle the plunger in the 3-way in the hopes that something would dislodge.

You left the heating element connected? With the wire disconnected from the 3-way as you pictured, there should be zero flow, other than through the OPV back to the tank, when you operate the pump. The instant you connect the wire to the 3-way, there should be flow through the grouphead.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home

#13: Post by krotor1 (original poster) »

I cycled the plunger in the 3-way, nothing dislodged.
when disconnected there was zero flow through the group head as you said, when I connected it by hand it flowed again through the group head. After that it started leaking again.
I re-connected everything and turned on the power switched and after about a minute or less it started dripping again.

erics
Supporter ★

#14: Post by erics »

When you start with a room temp machine (heating element disconnected), disconnect the 3-way as you previously pictured, and start a brew cycle, you are applying about 9.0 bar of pressure to the top seal of the 3-way.

You have said that there is NO leakage through the 3-way under the above circumstances.

When you reconnect the heating element, reconnect the 3-way (although it wouldn't really matter here) and let the machine heat up, you HAVE leakage via the drain connection on the 3-way. The amount of pressure that is being applied to the 3-way valve under these circumstances (pump not running) is, maybe, something like 1.1 bar.

So the difference is the heat applied to the brewgroup and the 3-way valve as the machine warms up. Now, while I don't recall ever hearing of a crack in the brass adaptor plate or (worse) that area of the grouphead, that's the only thing that I can think of that would cause the symptoms you are describing.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#15: Post by krotor1 (original poster) »

I've taken it apart again to check the O-rings for problems. I'll check both sides of the O-rings. One thing I've noticed is the solenoid valve doesn't have a seal of any kind where it attaches to the brass valve receiver.
I'll probably take it in and have it checked Monday. I can still pull shots and cappuccinos, I just have to make sure I empty the drain pan and or relieve the pressure. While brewing a cappuccino I collect about 1/4 cup of water. Where it used to be about a tablespoon or less.
I'll let you know what I find out.
I appreciate all the help.
ken

#16: Post by krotor1 (original poster) »

I replaced the three way solenoid valve and no more leaks.

edna713

#17: Post by edna713 »

If your Silv. is in warranty, you should be re-imbursed for the cost of the valve.

Hundreds if not thousands of brand new silvs. were shipped with a tiny burr on the solenoid plunger, causing it to stick.

And since it is / was new -- NO amount of 'cleaning' would fix it.

Personal experience on several.

d