Rancilio Silvia in boiler thermocouple

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
gonemtbiking

#1: Post by gonemtbiking »

Hi all,

New to the forum and excited to get started.

After finding out that my wife prefers espresso to my regular chemex style I was able to snag a broken Silvia off CL for $50. It is a V1 and had a shorted (exposed element) boiler, and leaking steam wand. I have a V4 boiler on the way as well as a V3 steam wand. I will also be adjusting the V1 OPV with new crusher washers to 9bar, as well as adding insulation and PID)

My question is, has anyone done an in-boiler thermoucouple? I ask because I had a 1/16 Omega PID controller as well as a .187" SST RTD lying around I would like to repurpose. I drilled and tapped a 1/8 NPT on my old boiler to test fit, does anyone think this would be an issue?

My plan was to use something like this to adapt my thermocouple to NPT (dont know if I need the PTFE ferrule)
http://thesensorconnection.com/thermoco ... npt-thread
http://thesensorconnection.com/thermoco ... on-fitting

Lastly, any recommendations on removing the rust on the base? Was debating bead blasting it and hitting it with some rattle can but not sure.

GreavesManchu

#2: Post by GreavesManchu »

My Silvia is 19 yrs (now retired). If it was me, which it isn't, I'dstrip it down to the bare frame and powder coat it. You could change the frame color too, if you wanted, the cost would be the same. I know where I live that job would run about $135. Seems expensive, but your machine could look like new with a little elbow grease on the SS.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by pizzaman383 »

You might be better off going into the boiler from the top if you can. That way you can adjust the depth of the sensor. The temperature varies at different levels in the boiler so you will get different behavior at different levels.

I have modified several different machines. I like to have the sensor as close to the water output as I can.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”