Rancilio Silvia frame restore - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
thecoffeefield

#11: Post by thecoffeefield »

That's really nice. Love restoration posts. Enjoy the machine for many more years

kc2hje (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

Frame is panted have one minor run going to let the paint cure and see how it is.

Starting to come together last of the parts should be in by the end of the week.

Chris

kc2hje (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

One last round of painting tonight then I will be installing 3M paint protection film to protect the seam between the two parts of the frame from the water released from the 3way solenoid valve.

The film will provide protection to the paint from wear and tear on the sides and the back of the frame from the drip tray being inserted and removed as well. The frame section in red is where I'll be applying the film.

Chris

kc2hje (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

Back and side sections are in of 3M protective paint film and here's a shot of the one in the back entirely covering the seam between the drip tray and the drain from the solenoid.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/post-factor ... tion-film/

Oh and the new feet are on.

Chris

patrickff

#15: Post by patrickff »

Thanks for the restoration report.
My Silvia has a small rubber hose piece over the three-way-valve to prevent splatter - and therefore rust. Not that I use it much at the moment - I prefer doing espresso more manual (lever - PV Export).

kc2hje (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

Mine has that as well yet at about year six the rust reared it's ugly head. This should ensure it stays rust free for much longer.

kc2hje (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

Parts are in and got 90% of the machine back together but of course home projects are measured in trips to the hardware store this is measured in orders placed to espresso parts lol. The 1/8 elbow coming off of the pump will not stop leaking so a new one is ordered along with new copper sealing washers.

Chris

kc2hje (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

Ahh and further testing showed that my heating element has a 2Meg Ohm short to ground so new heating element as well.

Someone will be getting a brand new machine at this point lol only original parts at this point is the OPV valve, hoses, and three of the four switches.

Chris

kc2hje (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by kc2hje (original poster) »

And last batch of parts are in including new heating element and 1/8 90 for the pump. Should be pulling shots tonight

Chris