Rancilio Silvia doesn't stop heating - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Jake_G
Team HB

#11: Post by Jake_G »

Well, nothing should have happened with the red wire disconnected. The machine should simply cool off.

Is that the case?
LMWDP #704

Omereut (original poster)

#12: Post by Omereut (original poster) »

Yes it didn't boil it wasn't cool completely but didn't boil

Advertisement
JRising
Team HB

#13: Post by JRising »

Your element is probably cracked, shorting to ground. Inspect the element, replace if cracked.

#14: Post by Omereut (original poster) »

It was replaced 3 times what could be causing it

JRising
Team HB

#15: Post by JRising »

Steaming longer than 120 seconds and letting the boiler level get too low. Steaming more than once for a total of more than 120 seconds without topping up the boiler. A steam (Or water) leak somewhere allowing the boiler level to drop and expose the element... If you see steam and bubbles moving in the OPV hose (The second, shorter line in the reservoir) when the pump isn't running and it has no reason to be exceeding 10 Bar, then you can expect your OPV is leaking steam out of the boiler.

Jake_G
Team HB

#16: Post by Jake_G »

All of John's points are spot on.

However, it doesn't make sense to me how a split element could continue heating after the brew thermostat has clicked off.

Based on the results of pulling the brew thermostat out of the circuit, I suspect that it may to blame for the 3 elements that were replaced.

By removing the red wire and observing a boiler cool down, we've proven that the steam circuit is not sending voltage around the brew thermostat.

That leaves the scenario of voltage passing through the brew thermostat to lead to the continued boiling of the water. Such boiling could certainly lead to a dry boiler and a split heating element if left unattended for any appreciable amount of time.

The most simple test would be a resistance test across the terminals of the brew thermostat when the boiler is set to steam and the light is off. In this scenario, the brew thermostat should be an open circuit. If there is any residual resistance in the thermostat, I would replace it.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

#17: Post by Omereut (original poster) »

Thank you i will try it, it seems to me like it's heating and working fine except for the low voltage that seems to still be heating up the machine. Maybe if the element was replaced 3 times and the problem still perssists, then the heater is not the issue...

Advertisement

#18: Post by Omereut (original poster) »

So i took it to the repair shop for the third time.they replaced the heating element and the thermostats.
The problem was the thermostats were malfunctioning which caused the heating element to crack or start cracking and that caused a short in the circuit.

Anyway, i hope this fix was the last
Thank you all for your input and help!
Have a great weekend with great coffee!