Rancilio Silvia does not stop heating

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
lhelicon

#1: Post by lhelicon »

I have a problem with my Rancilio Silvia v2

The machine does not stop heating and the orange light never goes off

I have changed both thermostat and i am still having the same issue

If i leave the machine on I will get steam off the brewhead once I activate the brew button and the water coming off the steam wand will also produce steam.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Switched the steam and brew thermostats or their wiring? Incorrectly wired steam switch? Faulty steam switch?

After it heats for a while turn it off, disconnect it from the mains, remove the wires from the brew thermostat, and check to see if it open or closed with an ohm meter.

Maybe try disconnecting and insulating the wires on the steam switch to take it out of the circuit. There is a color wiring diagram of Silvia's wiring on my website which may help.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

The Silvia is a really simple machine. My first suspicion would be that it did not get rewired correctly when the thermostats were replaced.
I won't speculate how the wiring might be wrongly done, as you can download a schematic and carefully trace where everything should go.

When you switch on a cold Silvia, the power to the heater goes in series through the brew thermostat, then through the steam thermostat to the heater. Because the brew thermostat opens at a lower temperature than the steam thermostat, when the boiler gets to temperature, it opens and power is cut. When you're brewing espresso, nothing changes in the heater path...power just gets applied to a bunch of other stuff, none of which would affect the heater. So, the only possibility here is a shorted brew thermostat.

When you're steaming, all that happens is the steam switch shorts out the brew thermostat. So, this is another place to look. Simply take the wires off the brew switch to eliminate any possibility that the brew switch is shorted.

I can't think of anything else that might cause your problem.

lhelicon (original poster)

#4: Post by lhelicon (original poster) »

the wiring cannot be mixed i replaced the first thermostat (brew) there were only two wires that I disconnected and reconnected the same way. When this did not solve the problem I did the exact same thing with the steam thermostat and I am still having the same problem.

What I don't understand, is that usually if the thermostat goes bad the machine should not be heating up at all?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

What I don't understand, is that usually if the thermostat goes bad the machine should not be heating up at all?
Not necessarily. If it fails open, then what you say is true. But, they can also fail closed (contacts self-welded shut). If this happened to the brew 'stat, the machine would always steam. Did you take the wires off the steam switch and try it? Failed switches is not an uncommon fault with that machine. You can easily test the switch with a multimeter in ohms position. It is double pole, so be sure to test the hot set of contacts (or just test them both).

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

After it heats for a while turn it off, disconnect it from the mains, remove the wires from the brew thermostat, and check to see if it open or closed with an ohm meter.
Good idea! New/replacement does not necessarily mean without fault.

lhelicon (original poster)

#7: Post by lhelicon (original poster) »

I dont own a multimeter but i'll get one and try that out thanks for the replies

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

I think you will find my page, How a Silvia Works quite helpful. THIS page shows the heating circuit in the "ON" state. Note that if the brew thermostat has failed in the closed position, that the machine will stay on until the steam thermostat opens, even if the steam switch is off.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done