Rancilio Silvia + Auber PID - not controlling anything?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
chris__m

#1: Post by chris__m »

I just bought a used Silvia with an Auber PID installed.
I was expecting it to control the machine from the PID - as in disabling the brew switch until it has reached set temperature and then pulling a shot with the "play" button on the PID.

But it seems the only thing the PID is doing is displaying the temperature. All the switches on the machine work as if there was nothing installed on it.

Are there different PID installations? Or is this disabled or incorrectly installed? How can I check it?

Also there is a pressure gauge installed on the machine. Is this just for bling or can I actually use it for anthing useful?

And last thing: What is the red lamp for (it says VODA, which I believe is water in some languages), but it never seems to come on.

I'm attaching an image of the front of the machine. Any input much appreciated!

Jb3

#2: Post by Jb3 »

Seems like it's working just as it's supposed to. The PID will only control and display the temperature of the boiler. You'll have to use the machine with the original switches to control the pump and to switch to steaming mode. The pressure gauge is useful when adjusting the OPV and I'm betting the water light is a water level sensor to let you know you need to fill the water reservoir. I had and made similar mods to my old Silvia.

chris__m (original poster)

#3: Post by chris__m (original poster) »

Really? I thought the PID was supposed to do a pre-infusion, time the shot, etc?
So it actually only controls the boiler temp (doesn't the machine do that by itself?- I thought the orange light indicated it was at correct temp when it came off)

Re water level indicator - wouldn't that need some kind of sensor inside the tank?

And what is OPV and how/when is that adjusted?

Thanks again, and sorry for the newbie questions.

Chris

Coffcarl

#4: Post by Coffcarl »

I would email or call auber instruments at auberins.com. It looks like the basic pid does not control the pump. My pid with preinfusion and steam temp control does.

chuckcoffee

#5: Post by chuckcoffee »

Chris

Agreed on contacting Auber. I installed mine maybe 6 years ago. I basically turned on the machine and then used the PID to start and it shut off after the brew time I set was complete. The unit i bought also came with pre-infusion. Some do not.

At the time I reached out to Auber and they were most helpful

As well Seattle Coffee Gear has a general video guide posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mk7S-AcI2M

Scott_G

#6: Post by Scott_G »

chris__m wrote:Re water level indicator - wouldn't that need some kind of sensor inside the tank?
If it is a water level sensor, it's probably a non-contact sensor sitting next to the tank. I installed one like the link below in a friend's Silvia a few years ago, and it's still working fine. If yours isn't working, the sensor for a loose wire or if it needs repositioned.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-contact-Ta ... 1848581238