Rancilio S27 recently acquired

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
miken1799

#1: Post by miken1799 »

Hi

I am a proud new owner of a Rancilio S27.

Although I was told it did work, that turned out not to be the case. Seller said he would refund if I wanted to but I would like to resurrect this classic.

I have searched a bit and reviewed this one post in detail
Rancilio S27 Rebuild/Repair Started

Before I take it to a professional I thought I would try to troubleshoot a little myself.

My symptoms are:
- all I get is the power light. I only power up for a couple seconds and then turn off.
- the motor isn't doing anything. It appears to move freely
- no other lights

I tried with the water supply in a bucket of water and also with the home water plumbed in ... no difference

I figured I would start with the controller board and the 3 fuses there to check for continuity. I hope to do that this weekend.

I downloaded the google drive CRCasey provided (thank you for that) and have been trying to decipher the electrical wiring diagram. I didn't see a thermal fuse anywhere like my Gaggia has (and has blown a few times) which is an easy fix.

Thought I would reach out on this forum to see if anyone had any advice on obvious first things to look at given the symptoms.

Thanks,

Happy Brewing

Mike in NJ

Advertisement
miken1799 (original poster)

#2: Post by miken1799 (original poster) »

It's alive!

removing and cleaning the 3 fuses of the controller and cleaned the sockets and that got the unit running.

The green water present lite is on and looking inside I see a green light on the contoller as well as a small amber light on the flow meter which comes on and and off at different times.

if I push a brew button I get 4 oz of water through the brew group, then the pump gets running but the water stops and eventually a little more water dumps in the drain tray (I guess there is a 3-way valve).

No matter which brew button I push it is always the same result.

I was able to go into programming mode ... but again only 4oz of water.

Also NO steam. or hot water. I did not leave it heat up for more than 5 minutes because I just wasn't sure there was ample water in the boiler (not trusting the green light just yet). Maybe the steam and hot water will not work until they get up to temp?

Anyway, I am very encouraged now. I am thinking I may have a blockage somewhere.

Appreciate any insights to shorten my weekender project.

Jake_G
Team HB

#3: Post by Jake_G »

miken1799 wrote:Also NO steam. or hot water. I did not leave it heat up for more than 5 minutes because I just wasn't sure there was ample water in the boiler (not trusting the green light just yet). Maybe the steam and hot water will not work until they get up to temp?
Correct.

Give it a little longer to boil the water and make some steam pressure. The hot water is pushed out of the boiler with steam pressure, as is the steam itself. On my S20, it takes approximately 6 minutes for the vacuum breaker valve to let a few puffs of steam out before sealing and by 11 minutes the pressure stat has turned off for the first time. It takes a solid 30 minutes before my groups are up to temperature enough to pull a decent shot, and that shot will take a hearty flush beforehand to get the water exiting the group up to 200°F. An hour warm up is much better, though your results will be different than mine for sure as the S27 single group is a very different animal than my 2 group.

Nice work reviving the machine.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704