Rancilio Epoca S1 steam boiler pressure

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
foen

#1: Post by foen »

Hello everybody, I'm Henry, Italy based. A newbie on this forum and in coffee world.
A few days ago, for a bunch of bucks, I saved from a dusty and old warehouse a Rancilio Epoca S1,
After a mild clean up first issue that I founded is that boiler pressure gauge floating around 1 to 1.5 bar
It this behaviour right? How can fix it to get a stable pressure ?

Any other advice to restore this baby its a lot appreciated...

Thank you

Henry

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

A new pressostat should tighten up that deadband. Possibly a cleaning of the mechanical upper half and a descaling of the underside of the diaphragm would help, if you don't want to replace it. 0.5 deadband is more than you'd get from a pristine new p-stat but isn't completely outrageous.

foen (original poster)

#3: Post by foen (original poster) »

Thank you, how can I descaling it? For now I lowered pressure from 1.5 to 1 bar circa .

Aftergrgr

#4: Post by Aftergrgr »

I have the St1 model and right now, as i want to drink acidic medium roasts, i have it at 1.2 bar maximum
The deadband is 1.0-1.2 and i make a flush just before the boiled water finishes to exit
For dark roast i would do 2-3" longer flush

You may have good results with the pressure at 1.0 max, without flush

foen (original poster)

#5: Post by foen (original poster) »

Thank u , I lowered pressure at 1 bar but I got a 0.3/0.4 deadband.

Maybe p-stat needs descaling?

Aftergrgr

#6: Post by Aftergrgr »

I have a 0.2 dead band

You can't descale a pstat, it's an electronic unit
The dead band seems too big, maybe you have to change it

Tip: i get much better taste with the opv set at 11 bar static brew pressure, maybe you should try

foen (original poster)

#7: Post by foen (original poster) »

Thank you, how I can set opv valve? It's just like silvia one? Usually it was set a 15 bar?

JRising
Team HB

#8: Post by JRising »

Aftergrgr wrote:I have a 0.2 dead band
You can't descale a pstat, it's an electronic unit
The dead band seems too big, maybe you have to change it
Tip: i get much better taste with the opv set at 11 bar static brew pressure, maybe you should try
He's correct in that "If you have the "Transductor kit" instead of a P-Stat, there's probably no point in descaling it unless you actually see scale blocking the inlet. However, if your deadband is 0.5 Bar, I have to assume that you have the regular Epoca (S) and you have a very mechanical, non-electronic pressostat. The rigidity of the diaphragm increases with the deposits on it. Descaling it can reduce its deadband. You can inject your solution into it with a syringe or a squeeze bottle with a thin hose... Replacing a pressostat would, of course, be even better than descaling it, just not as cheap.

Transducer (Top) vs. P-stat (Bottom).

foen (original poster)

#9: Post by foen (original poster) »

You're right I have a mechanical pstat. I down regulate to 1 bar circa with a screwdriver. I think that would be more messy to descale it

Aftergrgr

#10: Post by Aftergrgr »

JRising wrote:He's correct in that "If you have the "Transductor kit" instead of a P-Stat, there's probably no point in descaling it unless you actually see scale blocking the inlet. However, if your deadband is 0.5 Bar, I have to assume that you have the regular Epoca (S) and you have a very mechanical, non-electronic pressostat.
My bad, i didn't know that it's mechanical, i have the same :?