Quickmill Silvano Problem In Arizona

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
mauijer

#1: Post by mauijer »

After 5yrs of daily service my Quickmill Silvano started smoking and then the pump no longer activates. I suspect the leads to the boiler are the problem (see below picture). I thought I would be able replace a fuse or something simple lol. Obviously Im no electrical engineer; however, while awaiting a call back from chris coffee I rely on the help of this invaluable forum. If this is the problem, is this an easy repair for a layman? Where would I get the replacement parts? Also if anyone with the above knowledge is in the Glendale/Phoenix, AZ region and could lend a hand I can pay you for your time in scotch or other currencies. I was unable to find a local repair shop that would work on home units or Quickmill. Also I couldn't find a video demonstrating repair so if anyone can provide these I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Jeremy

Giampiero

#2: Post by Giampiero »

I don't think that the hi limit thermostat ( the white one in your photo) is on the pump electric circuit, in effect which of the pumps does not work, coffee or steam?

mauijer (original poster)

#3: Post by mauijer (original poster) »

Sorry, my bad. In my haste to post I made the dumb mistake of assuming that was the boiler which it was not. However, by the miracle of the espresso gods when I plugged the machine back in to confirm whether the steam worked I discovered that the machine is now functional again. So I will be cautiously optimistic. Thanks for the help.

#4: Post by mauijer (original poster) »

Previously posted and then things seemed to improve so closed the topic but now worsening again and asking for help.

I've own the Quickmill Silvano V2 non evo version since 2013. Made probably 4-5000 shots on it. Has been on a timer. Never had any problems until a few months ago when I noticed when backflushing that water out of the OPV into the drip tray seemed less forceful but I didn't think much of it, then it started making some new noises--seemed like boiler was trying too hard and then started squeeling and steam seemed more prominent out of the vents near the water tank. Issue seemed to come and go and then seemed to be pressure locked/vapor locked (Is that possible on this type of machine).

To clarify when I say I suspect a vapor lock it is because after my first shot water would not emerge from the grouphead unless the switch was activated for several seconds, lately only steam would come out initially then water would flow. I got into the routine of flushing several seconds after each shot but then even that stopped working. Eventually the temperature would not rise above 196/197 F and would start making a lot of noise. I tried running an entire tank of water thru the machine even with the boiler heater off but the issue persisted.

I am confused because the high pressure noise sounds like a leak but I couldnt find anything when I opened it up.
Also the pump still seems to work because I can still get water to flow but it is just delayed

I have had trouble contacting the service department at Chris coffee due to the 3hr time difference. Anyone have any ideas or do i need to ship it to NY for servicing? Does anyone know anyone on the west coast that services Quickmill?

Thanks,
Jeremy

alexeyga

#5: Post by alexeyga »

Jeremy,
How up to date are you on general maintenance? How often do you backflush? When was the last time that you've taken the screen out and cleaned the head? Do you have a habit of backflushing with clean water once finished pulling shots?

A few months ago I've scored on local ads a machine very similar to Sylvano, which I've fully rebuilt - so I'm fairly familiar with its guts. From the sound of it - your 3-way valve is shot, at least that would be my primary suspect. Next - I'd check the pump - it might be on its way out as well. All in all, if you aren't too comfortable with diving too deep into disassembly - I'd drop it of at the closest service shop for a major service. It doesn't have to be a Quick Mill's "authorised" dealer - as all these machines are made from same parts, give or take.

Cheers!

#6: Post by mauijer (original poster) replying to alexeyga »

I backflush with water after every session with minimum of twice a day. Back flush with detergent about every 3-4months. Descale about once a year (try not to do overkill given the home use and variable response you get from dealers regarding descaling). I Use bottled water only, Kirkland brand. I removed the screen about 1yr ago and it was remarkably clean.

Good to know that I don't necessarily have to take it to a Quickmill Authorized dealer. Unfortunately I haven't found anyone in the Phoenix area that services home machines so I might have to find someone in California and drop it off there.

I tried to upload a video but looks like I cant add video files so I have to post on youtube and then add link here?

Thanks for the help.

alexeyga

#7: Post by alexeyga »

Lol, I haven't realized how some of us are spoiled by having 3-4 big Italian espresso stores/service shops a few blocks one from another. They all carry different brands, but you can show up at either with just about any machine ever made - and they would fix it or - worse case scenario - just refer you to the shop next door which was carrying these machines 30 years ago. :mrgreen:

Well, looks like you know what you're doing in terms of maintenance, so just find a way to get it to a reputable service center and let them take care of it. I'd really give it a full overhaul, replace all gaskets, silicone hoses and everything else worthy of replacing - might just as well.

I played with mine for a few weeks and decided to sell it. The one thing which was really bugging me - was a tiny water tank, like tiny-tiny and not that straight forward to re-fill. Like i've said, it was a machine very similar to Sylvano, but Sylvano is a lot better in that regard. Second thing which I didn't like coming from a more basic single-boiler (which had no 3-way valve) - there was no pre-infusion per say. It's kinda hard to pre-infuse when the 3-way just dumps everything into the tray... And then I also came across a really good deal on a E61 machine - so it was an easy decision.

Cheers!

gimpy

#8: Post by gimpy »

I would check at a local espresso bar and ask who they have that checks/repairs their machines. Might get a local recommendation.

Prescott CR

#9: Post by Prescott CR »

A friend of mine is in Phoenix, he's a local Roaster and has worked on all kinds of machines. You might give him a call, his biz is Xanadu Coffee Roasters.

Xanaducoffeeco@gmail.com

His name is Randy, he's a hardworking guy. Of course he mostly works on commercial machines, still he may be able to help you.

Let me know if you have issues getting in touch with him, I believe that's the right email addy.
-Richard

#10: Post by mauijer (original poster) »

Prescott CR wrote:A friend of mine is in Phoenix, he's a local Roaster and has worked on all kinds of machines. You might give him a call, his biz is Xanadu Coffee Roasters.

Xanaducoffeeco@gmail.com

His name is Randy, he's a hardworking guy. Of course he mostly works on commercial machines, still he may be able to help you.

Let me know if you have issues getting in touch with him, I believe that's the right email addy.
Thanks!