QuickMill Nuova Águila weird rotary pump sound

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Lexington

#1: Post by Lexington »

Hello all

Wanted to share this and ask for any tips on how to solve it given that Italians would not come back to me with any feedback forever, if I sent it to them directly...

I was looking for advice on this topic in the forum but could not find just the very same issue, hence my post.

Look how the gauge jumping around 3-4 bars for 6 second before setting on 9 bars and the strange sound..

Any idea ?

A few more things to add, the machine was bought brand new in 2020, water supply from the reservoir, backflushed once a week, poly once a month, descaled once a year. No apparent leakage, pulls coffee normally it's just sometimes it takes longer to settling on 9 bars and this sound...

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Sounds like pump cavitation, i.e., the pump is drawing air. Is this plumbed in?
Dan Kehn

Lexington (original poster)

#3: Post by Lexington (original poster) »

Nope, reservoir

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

In that case, all that comes to mind is scale buildup on the pump's bypass valve. :?
Dan Kehn

spiffdude

#5: Post by spiffdude »

I agree with Dan, sounds like pump is sucking air, or have trouble pulling water in from the reservoir.

I would get it looked at sooner than later. As I found out recently with my previous machine, rotary pumps and their motors are quite expensive to replace once they are too far gone...
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

#6: Post by Lexington (original poster) »

Thank you guys any idea if I can check it itself ? Tutorial or anything worth of looking at before unscrewing the thing ?

spiffdude

#7: Post by spiffdude »

That's a tough one. you can take the covers off and try to see if there are any obvious blockages or issues from the reservoir to the pump. Crud caught in the little particle filter/screen in the reservoir intake for example. At some point, you'll run into solenoid valves (which tend to cause issues sometimes but the way) and copper piping which would need to be disassembled for inspection...

Does it do this on successive activations with no pause or short pauses? Or just of the first activation after a prolonged period of inactivity. Check for signs of leaks, someplace where air could creep in slowly and cause the pump to cavitate upon the next activation
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

#8: Post by Lexington (original poster) »

Hey , yes this occurs on successive basis, so each time pulling a shot it happens, also with the blind porta when backflushing. By the way my normal use is two shots in the morning mon - fri and weekends about 4 shots in the mornings and two afternoons.

SO it seems like the main cause would be on the way from the reservoir to the pump? is that a bypass valve as HB mentioned? Pump does not seem to be an issue in your opinion?

I cannot see any leakage at all, I was looking at it yesterday and all looks tight and solid. This weekend is the poly backflushing routine , but I guess it wont change anything..

Giampiero

#9: Post by Giampiero »

Is this the model with the valve water supply selection on the bottom?

#10: Post by Lexington (original poster) »

Yes exactly