Quickmill Anita - New pump filling boiler too much

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
D.Sweet

#1: Post by D.Sweet »

Hoping to get some help from those with a lot more experience and knowledge on these machines. Looking your way Eric S. :P

My older QM Anita had some issues and a few parts replaced recently. SSR failure (my fault), safety valve, float switch and the vibratory pump. The pump wasn't broken but upon cleaning and troubleshooting I found a broken spring and simply replaced the whole unit as I was making the order for the SSR and safety valve. It is 10 years old. Ever since the new pump has gone in, I have had issues with water from the steam wand. Easily resolved by draining water out of the hot water spout but something is definitely amiss.

I've cleaned off the water fill probe but that doesn't seem to be the issue. The fill probe works fine if the water level ever gets low enough but the pump is putting too much water into the boiler when pulling a shot. Eventually the boiler is too full and no steam can be produced. My thought is that there is some sort of pump flow restriction that this new pump does not have?

Any thoughts?

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

If the pump is putting water into the boiler while you are pulling a shot, then your boiler fill solenoid valve is leaking.

Note the mfg of the solenoid valve(either OLAB or Parker).
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

D.Sweet (original poster)

#3: Post by D.Sweet (original poster) »

Just the sort of info I was missing. Had no clue that wasn't normal operation. This is my best guess as the pump rarely comes on anymore outside of pulling shots or pulling water through. So it seems to me that water is for sure going into the boiler when pulling water through the group head. I'll go ahead and replace the solenoid. Thanks as always Eric! The information you put out there has kept this machine running for over 10 years!

OLAB solenoid.

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

You should try not to replace the solenoid valve as that can be tricky (tight quarters). That's why I said to note the mfg of the valve. You can replace just the top half depending on the mfg.
Skål,

Eric S.
★ Helpful

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

It's probably the solenoid, but for sake of completeness, a cracked heat exchanger will exhibit similar symptoms (e.g., an espresso machine subjected to freezing temperatures).
Dan Kehn

slipchuck

#6: Post by slipchuck »

D.Sweet wrote:Just the sort of info I was missing. Had no clue that wasn't normal operation. This is my best guess as the pump rarely comes on anymore outside of pulling shots or pulling water through. So it seems to me that water is for sure going into the boiler when pulling water through the group head. I'll go ahead and replace the solenoid. Thanks as always Eric! The information you put out there has kept this machine running for over 10 years!

OLAB solenoid.
My Anita's pump never comes on except when called for
You might have a tiny/small leak somewhere if it does

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

You might be able to fix a defective solenoid valve at zero cost if it's not seating properly due to a tiny piece of scale or debris interfering with the sealing function. If you're up yo it, take it apart for a cleaning and a visual inspection.

Take pictures for future reference, both inside and out including all its technical data.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

As far as I know, the OLAB solenoid valve is no longer supported . . .but you may get lucky.

To clean this solenoid valve (in place) might be your best bet. But to do so, you will need to drain the boiler by syphon action or turn it upside down over the kitchen sink.

I believe you need a 7/8" or 22 mm deep socket to remove the top portion of the valve. Soak removed parts in a small juice glass with vinegar.

Rince and reinstall.
Skål,

Eric S.