Quick Mill Vetrano 2B steam boiler doesn't drain

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
pdx-climber

#1: Post by pdx-climber »

I just purchased my first new-to-me "real" machine. Happy with the purchase, but have one little issue. The prev (original) owner had drained both boilers so when I got it home to set it up I was a bit surprised when the steam boiler took in no water (I filled it a day later after dial-in). Figured he just forgot. So when I just packed this up to afternoon for temporary storage I drained the boilers but nothing came out of the steam tank (well, I assume steam since it would make sense if there is a clog or issue in the draining... so let's just say it is).

I did see a vid instructing to open the steam and water valves to allow a pressure release... which I did. (They were also open when I got it, so the prev owner did the same). Maybe it just needs a bit of a 'push'. I do think one of the drain 'plug' on the steam is a tiny bit 'scaled' or let's just say 'not as clean' as the other one. He did (claim to) always use filtered water (and our water here in Portland is pretty darn nice to start with).

Anyway, wondering if anyone else has had this issue, any 'quick test/fix' ideas? The machine seems to work just fine - tho I would like some more steam power - I have heard/read that lackluster steam power is a downfall of this machine. Keep in mind I am using a LM Linea at work so power is relative. Maybe I'll try to address this later. I did clean the steam system with Rinza before draining.

I won't be able to address this 'issue' for a while as I am moving around a bit for the next 6wks - but looking to get ideas for when I can address it.

Thanks!
J

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Perhaps a complete descaling with citric acid would be in order before using it again. That way you would know that you're starting out with a relatively clean machine.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Advertisement
pdx-climber (original poster)

#3: Post by pdx-climber (original poster) »

Will do... I happen to have some sitting around (mmmm, fresh mozzarella...) Following Chris Coffee guide, 3L reservoir so ~3oz and flush ~8oz thru group head and hot water.. wait 1hr, repeat ~10x - drain (hopefully) and flush with clean water until nice and clean???

rls1160

#4: Post by rls1160 »

Hello,

I own a 4 year old QM Vetrano 2B evo which I purchased new. Recently I started the process of descaling our machine. Our steam boiler also would not drain. our machine had about a 1/4" to 3/8" of scale at bottom of the boiler, the heating element was totally encased in scale.

What I found is that the recommended descaling operation using a citric acid solution run through the machine is not sufficient to address anything short of extremely light scaling. In fact, I would suggest not doing a full machine descale because it has the potential to cause more issue due to the solution dislodging tiny bits of scale that end up lodging in some other internal components.

My suggestion is to remove the steam boiler and its heating element and then do a thorough physical and citric acid soaking to remove the scale. You will need to order a new heating element washer/seal for reassembly.

Rick

treaves

#5: Post by treaves »

This machine has drains on each boiler. Did you try those?

JRising
Team HB

#6: Post by JRising »

If the boiler is so badly filled with scale that the drain is "paved over", you can poke a tool through it to get it to start draining, but I agree with rls1160, you're going to want to carefully remove some things from that boiler to have a good look at it, and quite likely remove the boiler from the machine, strip it and immersion descale it. Be very careful with all of its fittings, especially the drain. I've seen many machines with the drain snapped right off because the machine calcified over years of bad water, then when it was finally so calcified that the owner could no longer abuse it and make it work they wrenched the seized fitting off the boiler. "No Sir, I can't just glue it back on with something".

If your fitting is in terrible shape, it will be degrading to the point where even the outside is encrusted in a coral reef of deposits... You can paint those away with a paintbrush, citric acid and plenty of patience and rinsing. New boilers are expensive.