Pump runs but not filling water

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
dkny3939

#1: Post by dkny3939 »

Took my Crossland CC1 out of storage after a couple of years. It appears something is clogged? The pump runs but it's not pulling water from the resevior and no water comes out of the grouphead. What do you think? Where should I look?

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

Assuming that the pump sounds normal and isn't obviously running dry... If the pump is running because it should be filling the boiler, but it isn't filling thew boiler, check the boiler fill solenoid valve.

Bmsinc

#3: Post by Bmsinc »

Prime the pump? I bought a used machine and the guy almost pulled out of the sale because he said the pump wasn't working. Similar situation. He had it in storage. He said he primed it and it's been working fine for me ever since.

To my understanding you can take a syringe with a similar diameter of the hose sticking out of the bottom and squirt water into it.

austinado16

#4: Post by austinado16 »

If priming using a pet medicine syringe, or BBQ syringe or Turkey Baster doesn't work, there are a couple possibilities inside the pump:
-There is a small black o-ring located at the pump piston shaft. This o-ring can either be worn or has become brittle. Either way, it stops sealing against the pump piston, so the piston can't move water.
-At the end of the piston shaft, there is a round plastic ball. This ball acts like a check valve. It can wear down, still retain it's round shape, but be smaller, and not seal well. Again, the pump can't move water.
-The other location where an issue can occur, is inside the output fitting on the pump. There is a check valve inside, with a silicone rubber mushroom cap at the end. This cap can get stuck to the outlet orifice (just downstream from the plastic ball) and so even if the pump is primed and working, it still can't discharge water.

The good news is that it's very easy to remove the pump from a machine, and separate the 2 halves of the pump. Then you can replace the o-ring (it's a common SAE size, even though it's actually metric, so you can get it from an automotive parts store, or the plumbing department in a hardware store. The plastic balls usually aren't worn out. The mushroom cap can be pushed on, from the plastic ball side of the output fitting, and returned to working condition. There are a ton of YouTube vids that show you how to repair the pump. Below is a picture of one that I took apart and repaired. I've done several of them.