Profitec Pro 700 no steam, suspect power supply

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Bdfrank

#1: Post by Bdfrank »

Hello - You guys have saved me before! I am dangerous with repair execution, but low on knowledge...

Profitec 700 probably about 6 plus years old. So far historically through time, replaced relays, pump, elements, reservoir magnet switch and fully cleaned, I am sure I am forgetting a few things. I get about a good 6 month run then have to open up to replace something else!

Latest problem. Starting loosing steam power, orange front indicator light would shut off. Random at first, now total blackout. I have opened the machine up (relays and element replaced about 6 months ago). I can lightly tap on the 'brain" power supply (ECM Gicar US1004), and the orange light will flicker on with tap. i.e. 4 taps, four flickers. I have lightly tapped both relay and filler control with no flashing result. Only power supply will do this. Will also flicker for a second when turned off than back on by power switch or steamer switch (below drip pan)

Checked all connections to power supply, nothing loose. Am i fishing in the right pond? Guessing power supply might be the culprit?

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated - thanks!!!

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I see you cleaned your reservoir. Are you sure you put the float back in the right orientation?

Advertisement
Bdfrank (original poster)

#3: Post by Bdfrank (original poster) »

This was my first thought (float or float switch). No such luck. Not only correct orientation (per exploded view), replaced switch, new float magnet as well as new res. This problem also has a history of occasional to full failure over about a month... thanks

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

Any chance the connectors going to that GICAR are loose (but I bet you already checked this). I likely have the identical GICAR in my Synchronika, but I've never had it apart. If it were me, I'd pull that GICAR and see if I could get the cover off it. From the diagram on mine, It looks like it's a circuit controlling a relay. If so, and if the relay has a removable cover too, then I'd be inclined to dress the contacts with a point file (or failing that swipe one of my wife's emery boards :lol: ). If the relay isn't serviceable, then perhaps you could source one and replace it, saving a couple of hundred bucks for a new GICAR.

#5: Post by Bdfrank (original poster) »

yes, checked all connections. I started to pull it apart out of curiosity but decided to order another one and pull it apart later, the cover diagram does look like there are two relays.

I was able to find one on ebay new $160 with tax and delivered (seems hard to find right now or ridiculous expensive). Went ahead did a bid and ordered it. For me it is easier to do the replace and if not the problem, well one less item to diagnose. It should arrive by the 5th. I will post the results.

Thanks!

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

No PID error messages?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#7: Post by Bdfrank (original poster) »

no PID messages.

Advertisement

#8: Post by Bdfrank (original poster) »

OK, brain replaced and problem solved. Perhaps this might help someone else in the future. Nothing was serviceable on the inside of the Gicar (at least by the lay person, me). everything is sealed with no easy access.

JRising
Team HB

#9: Post by JRising »

Keep it as a spare. Most likely it's only problem is that the relay (largest, closest to ribbon cable) has burnt contacts. If you or a friend have a steady soldering hand it's a big, easy component to un-solder and replace. Steve will suggest you mount it on a thingy so that you can replace it many times in the future without un-soldering it. (I don't know what the thingy is called, he's the electronics guy)

CSME9

#10: Post by CSME9 »

There was a member on this forum that used to repair, provide replacement at reasonable costs. Don't know if he is still active in case someone is in need of those services.