Profitec Pro 600 - No Pressure/Water from Group - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
PIXIllate

#11: Post by PIXIllate »

It happened again, and moving the flow control knob fixed it again. Enough is enough. Took the Flow Control mushroom head off and here's what I found:

Not exactly sure exactly what that little bit is. It appeared to be rubber when I tried pulling it apart. There is no obvious place within this chamber that it could have come from. Closer images of it:

Gladly I found everything else to be looking in almost perfect condition.

Also, this is what the Profitec/ECM flow control mushroom looks like close up in case anyone is interested.

Not sure what this is or if it was the issue. Time will tell I guess.

Thoughts?

Bluenoser

#12: Post by Bluenoser »

It pays to take it apart and have a look for yourself.. You'll learn lots and likely will have to do self-maintenance from time to time.. Hopefully that will fix the issue.. Looks like whoever installed it got something from their workbench in there..

tinman143
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by tinman143 »

Are you the original owner? Who installed the FCD? Good that you took matters in your own hands and took things apart. You will really to figure out where that rubber piece came from. FWIW the valve has a rubber gasket that is a replacement part when rebuilding the E61 GH.

PIXIllate

#14: Post by PIXIllate »

I bought this from Idrinkcoffee a few months ago as a brand new unit. The Flow Control was either installed by them or by Profitec. I don't know which. The box did still have the Profitec tape on it when I received it but it was suppose to include the original mushroom and fittings and it did not. I had to email them and have those parts sent separately.

In one of the photos you can see that the area directly behind the mushroom cap has a radial scratch that was there from day one, obviously made by the person with the wrench who put it together. When I told IDC this they offered me a $100 credit as there is no way to remove a scratch like that.

I hope this fixes the problem but it also makes me wonder about paying for the privilege of "Made In Italy".

Bluenoser

#15: Post by Bluenoser » replying to PIXIllate »

Did u show them the pic of the debris in your group? Well... made in Germany. Originally designed in Italy. But I think Whole Latte Love in US also has input into mods of the design.

PIXIllate

#16: Post by PIXIllate » replying to Bluenoser »

I think the videos I've seen from WLL show that the ECM and Profitec are made in Italy and designed in Germany. Maybe there are some lever machines made in Germany? I'd have to watch it again.

No, I haven't contacted anyone yet. Two things, I'm not sure if that is in fact the cause of the problem yet and I want to give it a little more time, also I'm not sure anyone would really care. I doubt if I went to all of the trouble of sending my machine back to Ontairo they would even FIND a problem. It's intermittent and would take some care to set the flow control knob accurately and then accurately measure the output in ml over 20 seconds numerous times. It doesn't sound complicated but after a few experiences asking questions I'm not sure many customers are all that picky and to be honest I wonder how many people actually have properly calibrated and working machines, even when brand new.

Then again I'm a bit of a fatalist so don't mind me.

tinman143
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by tinman143 »

I would definitely contact the vendor especially since they most likely installed the FCD. I would ask them to send you the original parts so you can uninstall the device and compare operations with and without the flow control. I'm still scratching my head as to what that black piece could have come from.

Bluenoser

#18: Post by Bluenoser »

PIXIllate wrote:I think the videos I've seen from WLL show that the ECM and Profitec are made in Italy and designed in Germany. Maybe there are some lever machines made in Germany? I'd have to watch it again. .
Yes you are right.. built in Milan, Italy.. designed in Germany.. the Flow control mods and the PID mod I think were designed with WLL. Maybe the Italian plant just makes stock machines now and the FCDevice is always added by vendor.. as IDC sells FCD and unFCD versions. THose intermittent problems drive one nuts.. I had such an issue on my Pro500 a while ago. Looking at the scratch on the group I'm guessing the tech wasn't too experienced who worked on it.. But if it turns out to be that.. I'd keep the pictures and get another $100 in coffee from IDC. :). (From above, tech might have had a dirty workbench, set the FCD down and when ze inserted it into group it picked up that sliver)

PIXIllate

#19: Post by PIXIllate »

tinman143 wrote:I would definitely contact the vendor especially since they most likely installed the FCD. I would ask them to send you the original parts so you can uninstall the device and compare operations with and without the flow control. I'm still scratching my head as to what that black piece could have come from.

I do have the original mushroom. It was not in the box and I had to request it was sent to me.

PIXIllate

#20: Post by PIXIllate »

Bluenoser wrote:Yes you are right.. built in Milan, Italy.. designed in Germany.. the Flow control mods and the PID mod I think were designed with WLL. Maybe the Italian plant just makes stock machines now and the FCDevice is always added by vendor.. as IDC sells FCD and unFCD versions. THose intermittent problems drive one nuts.. I had such an issue on my Pro500 a while ago. Looking at the scratch on the group I'm guessing the tech wasn't too experienced who worked on it.. But if it turns out to be that.. I'd keep the pictures and get another $100 in coffee from IDC. :). (From above, tech might have had a dirty workbench, set the FCD down and when ze inserted it into group it picked up that sliver)
Haven't experienced the reduced flow for a few days now and I've been keeping my eye on it. Yeah, I was not impressed that the guy putting the machine together couldn't even be bothered with a rag. I really can't figure out anywhere in that chamber that bit could have come from. Maybe it was something in the brew boiler that got flushed into the upper chamber? As long as I don't have to worry about re-calibrating flow rates every week I'm okay to forget it.