Profitec Pro 500 - large SSR replacement

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Bernden

#1: Post by Bernden »

Good afternoon,

This is the second time my stock relay has crapped out on me in less than three years (although used a fair bit). I've recently paid for the large SSR from Profitec. Where is the best place to mount this? Any recommended heat sinks? The SSR is approximately twice the size of the original.

Thank you.

PJMac

#2: Post by PJMac »

I ran into this on my ECM Elektronika. The SSRs don't like heat. I didn't have room to mount the larger style and I couldn't find a replacement so I found one rated for higher amperage than the original that was actually smaller. This time I will use a thermal paste between the SSR and the mount plate. Hopefully this will help dissipate the heat better. Where was the last one mounted on your machine?

PJ

canatto

#3: Post by canatto »

I posted a write up about relocating the SSR a while ago.
Relocate and Heatsink Solid State Relay in a Profitec Pro 500 PID

PJMac

#4: Post by PJMac »

Thanks! that is an interesting option. I don't know if I have room though as the Elektronika has a bit more stuff although the layout is similar. I might try something like this if my SSR ever fails again.

canatto

#5: Post by canatto »

PJMac wrote: I don't know if I have room though as the Elektronika has a bit more stuff although the layout is similar. I might try something like this if my SSR ever fails again.
If you have a rotary pump you may not have room as much as there is in a Profitec Pro 500 PID where I relocated the SSR. However, if you can drill a couple holes on the base of the chassis and mount the SSR directly to the base, the chassis will be a sufficient heatsink. This is from my limited experience, but espresso machine retailers offering SSR relocation service seem to do that too as seen in youtube videos. In that case, a dedicated heatsink is not required, and the mod would be a lot more straightforward.

There could be other alternatives, such as just keep replacing the SSR every few years, they are not expensive anyways. Or fabricate a heat baffle, a thin sheet of aluminum will do, and mount it between the boiler and the SSR, so that the SSR is not exposed to the direct infra-red radiation from the boiler.