Prevent threaded connectors from leaking - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
movnmik (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by movnmik (original poster) »

Here are some pics of the boiler and its connections. This is the only connection that used and thread sealer and was the only one I had to clean off. All other connections are compression. They have copper spacers/compression washers and the sealer.

Jeff
Team HB

#12: Post by Jeff »

Replace the copper washers with fresh ones. They are the seal.

I don't know if it is a trick of the camera, but I've never seen two on one connector.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#13: Post by cafeIKE »

Copper washers are ONE TIME use.

Rather than use dope, especially hardening, on pipe type connectors, learn to make a Teflon tape 'wad' gasket.
It starts like a regular Teflon pipe wrap and reverse tapers into thick 'wad'.

The Teflon is compliant enough to enable perfect alignment, BUT they are one time use.

Supporter ♡

#14: Post by movnmik (original poster) »

Thanks again for the input.

I didn't order the copper washers so it will be another order.. is there a better option or is that the best option? I would prefer not to have to wait but will do if I have to. Unfortunately there wasn't a specific part # on the Rocket parts manual. It didn't even show it.

Jeff
Team HB

#15: Post by Jeff »

Those compression washers generally aren't, as far as I know, manufacturer specific. If you know the size, then any espresso generalist should be able to supply suitable ones.

NB: A 1/4 washer often refers to the pipe size, not the ID of the washer. 1/4 pipe, for example, has roughly an 0.54" OD

One example from EspressoParts.com, though unfortunately out of stock at the moment

"19 x 13.5 x 1.5 mm - For the 1/4" group head, drain cup and boiler fittings, as well as pretty much all of the other 1/4" fittings on Marzocco or any other equipment. Best fit (metal gasket) for 1/4" fittings we've found."

yertchuk
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yertchuk »

cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#17: Post by cafeIKE »

Brake shops used to have a pretty fair selection, but it's been a very long time since I last got some.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by movnmik (original poster) »

SCG is sending two crush gaskets USPS 1st class and total is under $10. Response from them has been very good. He also mentioned that they use Loctite 542

Supporter ♡

#19: Post by movnmik (original poster) »

So I have crush washers, Loctite and ready to reassemble. I'm running into a problem. With the crush washer in place, I can't get enough torque on the fitting to crush it so it's aligned. I applied the Loctite first and I'm sure it may be setting up and making it more difficult. Should I try to put the Loctite on after the its torqued down? Will capillary action allow it to seep into the joint after it's made?

I don't have a vice but will be buying one so I can clamp onto the boiler. . Open to suggestions to how to clamp down and not damage the boiler.

cafeIKE
Supporter ★

#20: Post by cafeIKE »

Looking at the bottom of the boiler, a crush washer might not snug up.

I would never use Loctite 542. It is for FINE threads, the boiler is pretty coarse.
Product should be applied to the bolt in sufficient quantity to fill all engaged threads. This product performs best in thin bond gaps, (0.05mm). Very large thread sizes may create large gaps which will affect cure speed and strength - 542 TDS

542 is N A S T Y 542 MSDS

A Teflon wad has never leaked in my machines. You snug it up a little behind where it needs to be and then torque it into position. You might burn a bit of Teflon tape getting the feel, which is just about where a crush washer starts to resist.