[Rocket Appartamento] Pressure/heating problem - Page 4

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JRising

#31: Post by JRising » Jul 12, 2019, 9:40 am

OOoh. That's weird. That's not "Out of water" blink, you're correct.
That looks to me like the box is powering up, light switches on, split second pause while it does the water checks, then it is trying to turn on a component, either element or Pump + Fill-Solenoid, short circuit drops available voltage to the point where the controller has to shut down, light goes off, it restarts, light comes back on, water level check for a split second, powers up the component again and repeats.

Step 1 would be to unplug the machine, take the top, splash shield and three-side body panel off. Then, disconnect both element leads, put electrical tape over the contacts if the insulators are cracked and/or there's any chance they could touch anything, plug the machine in and turn it on again. If it still shorts out with the element out of the circuit, the element isn't the short-circuiting component. Unplug machine. Reconnect the element and repeat the proceedure with the pump connections disconnected, then with the boiler fill solenoid connections disconnected...
If none of these components turn out to be the cause of the repeating reset, the problem could be in the control box itself. Sorry. :(

musica

#32: Post by musica » Jul 12, 2019, 10:40 am

That seems like a lot of work :(
What's funny is it's working fine and only after a while does it start acting up.

JRising

#33: Post by JRising » Jul 12, 2019, 2:05 pm

Interesting. I'm not sure it helps diagnose a short, though. Usually damp components get drier as they warm up and short circuits go away on a running machine, they don't usually get worse...
My only thought is that the transformer on your powerboard (In the control box) may be overheating and unable to supply the power needed to run the board. The hotter it gets the less available power. When it activates a relay the voltage drops too low to maintain itself, it resets. I don't know, I'm grasping at straws, now.

musica

#34: Post by musica » replying to JRising » Jul 12, 2019, 2:14 pm

Would that imply that the replacement is faulty too?

Also this: when I switch the machine on, the light doesn't light up immediately. It's dim at first and after about 1 second lights up all the way.

EDIT: here's a better video: https://imgur.com/P6NLsYi
As you can see, the light is on but very faint at the beginning, then lights up at regular intervals.

musica

#35: Post by musica » Jul 23, 2019, 8:30 pm

Quick update: I talked with a technician from the store where I bought the machine and he said he'd never that happen before and didn't know what it was. But today another guy from the same store told me that the machine blinks when it's in "standby mode". I pressed him on it, because I'd never noticed there was a standby mode, and he said that it had been implemented because of some EU law... Has any of you heard about that? I'm wondering if he wasn't just talking bs...

Flitzgordon

#36: Post by Flitzgordon » Jul 25, 2019, 4:44 am

I been thinking from the start that it sounds like a sticky relay.
I had seen machines with faulty relays started with a problem from a faulty heating element.

musica

#37: Post by musica » Jul 25, 2019, 6:59 am

Problem half-solved! Just got confirmation today from Rocket that this is indeed due to some new piece of EU legislation: all control boards from now on will have to feature that standby mode, which kicks in after 90 minutes if the machine isn't used within that period of time. Now, I need to find a way to bypass it... Ideas, anybody?

JRising

#38: Post by JRising » Jul 25, 2019, 9:31 am

Ask a dealer if you can trade your new Gicar board for a New Old Stock board from a few years ago.
Or find a several year old "Parts Machine" for sale with issues other than the board.
"Standby Mode", how annoying.

Potentially you could open your Gicar box and examine the board. It could be as easy to disable as moving a push-on jumper. They made the reservoir and boiler probe sensitivity settings this easy to change with jumpers and marked them well. I don't know if it's this easy. I'm in Canada and have no knowledge of EU mandated modes. Can you think of a non-EU country with the same Voltage and Frequency as yours? Maybe someone from such a country will chime in with whether or not theirs are free from "SB BS".

musica

#39: Post by musica » Jul 25, 2019, 9:45 am

JRising wrote:Ask a dealer if you can trade your new Gicar board for a New Old Stock board from a few years ago.
Or find a several year old "Parts Machine" for sale with issues other than the board.
"Standby Mode", how annoying
That's what I intend to do if I can't find a simple way to tweak it myself.

In any event, a big thank you to all of you, guys. You've been incredibly helpful!