Possible to convert the La Marzocco GS3 AV to MP? - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
AssafL

#21: Post by AssafL »

Good grief. I can't believe I wrote that. Ugh. It was late.

The MP uses the same pump as the AV with the bypass valve which regulates the 9bar. No problem there. I guess the relief channel from the paddle is because it is very hard to create a reliable low flow rate with 9 bar. You could use a small nozzle but it will tend to clog. If you bypass it, pressure drops and one can use a larger orifice.

The strada uses the gear pump and the feedback sensor.

I don't think you can use a gear pump without a sensor - or at least a substantial bypass that relieves excess pressure. In the latter case I'd still be worried of over pressure.

If it were me I'd copy the strada sensor setup. If only as a 10 bar cutoff. If the sensor is conditioned I'd think an Atmel ATtiny would suffice.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

AssafL

#22: Post by AssafL »

Given Dick's analysis I would think it is a rather low reward exercise to convert a AV to an MP. It is probably cheaper to buy a used one.

A better exercise is to mimick a strada. Apart from the look is a paddle a strada is a GS/3 with EP control. One can use a massively better quality potentiometer (e.g. A NOS military pot), and get a much better ROI.

Dick is 90% of the way there, and has the added advantage of AV control.

A low profile, small footprint 1 group strada EP. I dig it.

Edit: the more I cogitate over this the more I like it. The GS3 MP has a very substantial compromise to allow the use of the 9 bar pump. A very elaborate valve (with bypass), giving up the AV ability, expensive O rings, etc. Meanwhile a gear pump, a sensor and a controller can make a far better solution. An added needle valve (or an expensive proportional valve Yay!) would extent the capabilities of the system even more.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

HB
Admin

#23: Post by HB »

Split follow-on discussion to Flow/pressure profiling for the La Marzocco GS/3 at Dick's request. Please let me know via PM any posts not associated with the new topic were dragged along.
Dan Kehn

occoffeeman

#24: Post by occoffeeman »

post deleted