Plumbing in Londinium R (without losing adjustable pre-infusion)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Bmccall
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Bmccall »

I just completed another modification to my Londinium R and thought that I would share. This actually seems to be a common modification within the kurig community, but it let me retain adjustable pre-infusion, so I thought it needed to be introduced to the Londinium community.

This modification is extremely simple and can be done in less than an hour. Oh, and the cherry on top, can be done for less than $15.

Here is the float valve kit that I ordered from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076HDV3Z2

The float valve requires a .6" hole to be drilled in the side of water tank, water line run and voila.... your LR is now plumbed in!

Before:

First hole drilled:

Water tank marked and ready to be drilled to final size:

Float valve installed:

Water line connected:

Water turned on:

New solid Londinium top cover installed:

Plumbed in 4 bar pre-infused shot 8)

wachuko

#2: Post by wachuko »

Wow. Easier than what I was about to try... I was looking at plumbing directly to pump to avoid losing the pump adjustable pre-infusion and completely get rid of the tank.

But with this you still have to go in from time to time to clean the tank?

Did you consider plumbing to pump?

Needless to say... parts ordered from the Amazon link...

I still want to explore what it would take to plumb to remove the tank altogether and still keep the factory pre-infusion capabilities

Sorry for the rambling...thinking out loud...

But yeah!!! Thank you!

Well, I have to ask.... what else have you done to your LR? :lol: :lol:
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Bmccall (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Bmccall (original poster) »

wachuko wrote:
But with this you still have to go in from time to time to clean the tank?

Did you consider plumbing to pump?

I still want to explore what it would take to plumb to remove the tank altogether and still keep the factory pre-infusion capabilities

Well, I have to ask.... what else have you done to your LR? :lol: :lol:
Yeah, my guess is that it will be a good idea to check the tank for foreign debris and clean it from time to time. Certainly one of the drawbacks to this modification.

I was originally looking at plumbing directly to the pump, but since the pre-infusion circuit appears to reroute the unused water back into the tank, I found this to be the quickest solution. I suppose that line could be run into the drip tray though. Hmmm, definitely a possibility worth exploring.

So far my only other modifications are the gs3 steam wand and the acacia scale mount. Im sure I'll find something else to do to it though :lol:

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

Why would you want a solid unvented top cover on any espresso machine? Are there vents in the back cover to let some heat out?
LMWDP 267

wachuko

#5: Post by wachuko replying to JohnB. »

That is the factory cover when you go plumbed... No holes anywhere on the sides. Slots in the back cover. I have a photo when I was setting up mine.... one sec, not installed as I was removing the protective film that came with it, but you can see the slots. This is the rear cover.

Here it is:

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

I was hoping that it was vented someplace otherwise all the components inside the case would bake.
LMWDP 267

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

I did the same thing to my Brewtus years ago. I might recommend some sort of leak sensor now as float valves tend to leak eventually and unless you've a way to direct the overflow to a drain... I also put a regulator inline with the float valve and set the water pressure to just a few PSI to minimize the load on the seal. Had a leak sensor that shuts off the water for years, never dawned on me to connect an overflow line to the tank till just now. Guess I should do it now.

wachuko

#8: Post by wachuko »

JohnB. wrote:I was hoping that it was vented someplace otherwise all the components inside the case would bake.
I just checked again... there are also slots on the bottom case, towards the back. Will try to take a photo of those.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

wachuko

#9: Post by wachuko »

Bmccall wrote:...I was originally looking at plumbing directly to the pump, but since the pre-infusion circuit appears to reroute the unused water back into the tank, I found this to be the quickest solution. I suppose that line could be run into the drip tray though. Hmmm, definitely a possibility worth exploring...

Good to know... so a tee to collect both and route to drain. Doable. I am so frigging lazy... if I can get rid of having to even clean the tank, that is what I would love to do.

The order for the parts you used for this auto-fill should be here Tuesday. Will keep those stored until I decide what route to take. I am happy for now but I know it will end up like the Rocket... one way or another, it will be plumbed...

Parts for the La Marzocco steam wand should be here Wednesday...

And the tray insert for the scale should be here tomorrow. I still do not have an Acaia scale... with all that I have bought, I still have a hard time spending that kind of cash on a scale, there is no logic to my madness...

Thanks again for sharing all your mods.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Bmccall (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Bmccall (original poster) »

JohnB. wrote:Why would you want a solid unvented top cover on any espresso machine? Are there vents in the back cover to let some heat out?
The factory top panel isn't vented either. I just prefer the look of the top panel with no water aperture.

ira wrote:I did the same thing to my Brewtus years ago. I might recommend some sort of leak sensor now as float valves tend to leak eventually and unless you've a way to direct the overflow to a drain... I also put a regulator inline with the float valve and set the water pressure to just a few PSI to minimize the load on the seal. Had a leak sensor that shuts off the water for years, never dawned on me to connect an overflow line to the tank till just now. Guess I should do it now.
I have another machine that is already plumbed in and I installed a leak sensor at that point. I do like the idea of an inline regulator to reduce the pressure on the float valve though.