Plumbed in La Marzocco GS/3 with Outboarded Pump

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
wholemilklatte

#1: Post by wholemilklatte »

I'm about to plumb my GS/3 in after moving into a new home a year or so ago. It's different than most in that the motor and pump have been removed from the machine. In our old house I ran a braided hose from the outlet of the pump to the inlet of the machine and it worked great.

In our new house the motor / pump will need to be a bit further away from the machine and so i'm curious about a few potential details for this install.

- How long can the hose be from the pump to the machine without affecting pressure or water flow
- what's the correct type of hose to get for this, i want to replace this one and the one from the external pressure regulator i have to the pump inlet too.

I know that most larger commercial machines have the pump installed under the machine like this so i'm guessing there's a pretty common set of installation recommendations for this sort of thing (and i'm currently looking around for them now).

wholemilklatte (original poster)

#2: Post by wholemilklatte (original poster) »

The installation guide for a Linea shows a total of 8' from the water source:
- 4' from water -> pump inlet
- 4' from pump outlet to machine

That'll probably work for me, if anything i'll figure out how to have the "pump -> machine" be the shorter run given that it'll be under pressure and i'll adjust my water source to ~3bar at the pump via a regulator.

I'm going to have to put a hole in the countertop for this and i'm trying to make sure i have all of my ducks in a row before the plumber comes out to evaluate the best way to route things.

Linea Installation Guide:
https://lamarzoccousa.com/wp-content/up ... ssic-1.pdf

Mayhem
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Mayhem »

wholemilklatte wrote:The installation guide for a Linea shows a total of 8' from the water source:
- 4' from water -> pump inlet
- 4' from pump outlet to machine

Linea Installation Guide:
https://lamarzoccousa.com/wp-content/up ... ssic-1.pdf
I don't think it matters much. The first page of your link says "External Pump" "Max. Dist. from Machine 8'", then "Max. Dist. from Water Supply* 4'" with the asterisk saying that it is only "suggested". Requiring max 4' between pump and machine would be super short. My Linea Classic came with a 2 m/6' braided hose which I used between pump and machine, then maybe 3 m of John-Guest push-fit tubing between filter and pump.
Too much is not enough

wholemilklatte (original poster)

#4: Post by wholemilklatte (original poster) »

That's great to know, this is exactly the type of thing i was hoping for. I was curious if the distance between the pump and the machine would have a negative affect on pressure and/or pump response given the extra volume of water in the line.

thank you!