PID LCD segment died [Quick Mill Vetrano 2B Evo]

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Livin

#1: Post by Livin »

Anyone have this happen, or heard about this being an issue on these?
Occurred a week ago - clearly not harming the ability to use but wondering if there is a quick/cheap fix?

thx

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Happened to ours too. The electronics a too complicated to simply repair, I tried. It's not a poorly soldered joint as I had hoped for.

Your choices are to replace the display at less than $200.00, switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius so that segment might not be used or simply live with it. It's not a big deal but annoying none-the-less.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

edgndg
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by edgndg »

Happened on my QM Silvano. Annoying but I am choosing the "live with it" option.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

It's either a bad segment or a bad driver. It's possible to replace an LED display, but I will say, it's not fun. I have decent tools for the job, but not quite the correct tools. I've done it on other things, but it's not fun. If it was mine, I would try, but I would do it with the expectation I might need to replace the whole unit. I have successfully replaced the micro USB connector on a flex circuit out of a Samsung Galaxy a couple of years ago, but I've no idea why it worked.

If it's not the LED, the it's more likely hopeless unless there is a driver chip.

Ira

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

At what looks like $140 for the entire dual PID at Chris' Coffee, if it bothered you enough, I'd swap it out. Their service department has always been great to work with. They would at least confirm the proper part, and might know another solution.

Edit: Thinking through the 10 digits, I think you can distinguish them all without that segment. If it were mine, I'd probably ignore it and buy some great coffee instead.

JRising
Team HB

#6: Post by JRising »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote: switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius so that segment might not be used
I'd never have thought of that... Let the 202 become a 94 or 95 without the bottom of the 9... Aesthetically more pleasing.

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to JRising »

Sometimes Desperation is the Mother of Invention.

I did leave mine in Fahrenheit; old habits die hard.

dmw010

#8: Post by dmw010 »

I'm on my third PID since 2012 on my Duetto. All of them, including the current one, eventually started losing segments. I sent the first two to a engineer who participates on H-B but he was unable to fix them. I think the most likely cause is heat, since the unit is completely uninsulated.

BaristaBoy E61

#9: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I took the display of our Duetto III apart to see if it could easily be repaired. It appears to me that the 'data' to the LED's originates from an IC where the information is 'multiplexed' and far more complex than displays of yesteryear. Additionally the circuit board is 'layered' making desoldering a far more complex and delicate operation.

It would be far easier and perhaps more cost effective to just purchase a new display if bothered by it that much. As previously stated, another option might be to switch from Fahrenheit to Celsius. I say this as someone that serviced & modified high-end audio equipment professionally and as an advanced amateur radio operator; each for many decades.

I agree that heat is the culprit.

ira
Team HB

#10: Post by ira »

If someone wants to send me a bad one I'll see if I can repair it, but no promises.

Ira