PID Controller with Time-of-Day Programming?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jyl

Postby jyl » Jan 04, 2019, 3:42 pm

I'm looking for an affordable PID controller that has a clock and can be programmed to hold a given temperature at a given time. For example, 150F from 10 pm to 5 am, 225F from 5 am to 10 pm. It would also be good if there is a way to push a button and override the program in favor of a default temperature. For example, the dinner party is going late and your guests will want (decaf) lattes after 10 pm.

Is there such a thing? I can think of ways to cobble this together with multiple PID controllers and a separate timer and switch but that seems messy. I looked over the Auberin website and didn't see a suitable controller.
John, Portland OR
Vintage bicycles, Porsche/VW, cooking, old houses.

Dmitry100

Postby Dmitry100 » Jan 06, 2019, 1:14 am

Have you seen http://MeCoffee.nl site for the MeCoffee PID Controller? Scheduling is one of the many features.

If you're in the EU... there's an even more advanced controller called ITO on leva! firmware http://www.softwareandcircuits.com/divi ... index.html

They say the pump control likely wouldn't work for 120v pumps... and they'd have no way of testing it. Surely someone can. :/

jyl

Postby jyl » Jan 08, 2019, 11:48 am

Thanks. meCoffee is interesting, I'll go looking for user reports. The other one doesn't ship to the US, it seems. Auberin responded to my email and confirmed they don't have a PID controller with time of day programmability.
John, Portland OR

Dmitry100

Postby Dmitry100 » Jan 10, 2019, 2:14 pm

Well the cheapest and easiest way to go would be to buy a WiFi power plug ... I got mine tp-link mini plug for $15 from Best Buy. But Wemo and amazon plugs for $20 should have a bit better features

Ferrariandcoffee

Postby Ferrariandcoffee » Jan 10, 2019, 5:19 pm

Wemo works well. No more waiting in morning for heat up!

cpu

Postby cpu » Jan 12, 2019, 7:55 am

Maybe I'm unlucky but recently bought mecoffee is somewhere in transit although it should arrive within 2-4 days. Tried to contact mecoffee by email but they didn't reply to any of my messages so just be aware that contact could be difficult especially when you're in the middle of installing it and have some questions...

jyl

Postby jyl » Jan 13, 2019, 8:45 am

From reading mecoffee's blog, sounds like a one person operation?
John, Portland OR

cpu

Postby cpu » Jan 14, 2019, 4:16 pm

Yes, one man op, but I found tons of really good feedback, and few complaints on no reply at all, looks like I'm in second basket. Have to wait anyway a week or so then I can ask for chargeback. Tomorrow it'll be two full weeks, I'm still keen to get one and tune my Silvia. Hopefully it'll get better once it'll arrive, fingers crossed.

jpatrickramos

Postby jpatrickramos » Jan 21, 2019, 12:45 am

I've got a quick update on how I ended up solving my time of day/timer issues with my US-based meCoffee PID controller.

I picked up a smart plug, WiFi enabled outlet for $10 from Amazon ($40 for 4).
I now have complete control over the plug as well as power statistics since the outlet uses the Smart Life application.

It pairs to your home wi-fi network and uploads to their cloud as well, so I can turn the machine on/off anywhere I'm connected to the Internet.

Pretty darned slick and easy solution.