Pasquini Livia Safety Relay Replacement

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ddn

#1: Post by ddn »

I'm posting this in hopes that it will help someone else down the line. Recently my Pasquini Livia 90 semi-auto that is on 24/7 burned through it's second or third "safety" relay, that powers the heating element. The contacts in the relay eventually burn out due to repeated arcing, so the relay only seems to last about 3-5 years. The last time I replaced this relay I was able to source the part a fairly standard Finder 65.31.110.0000 power relay from an electronics supplier. By now, this part seems to be old stock, and was not available anywhere other than espresso machine parts houses, for $55. Which I think is pretty outrageous.

Reasoning that this a standard power relay with a 110V coil, I found a suitable replacement available through digikey.

Digi-Key part # Z814-ND is an Omron SPST power relay, with a 110V AC coil and a 30A rating. It works perfectly, and perhaps as an added bonus is marginally quieter than the FInder.

Manufacturer part number is: G7L-1A-TUB-J-CB-AC100/120

Hope this helps!

ddr

#2: Post by ddr »

Talk about perfect timing, I replaced my pressurestat a couple of weeks ago in my Livia 90 because I thought it was the cause of my machine occasionally overheating. Since doing that the machine has still overheated a few times (including twice this morning!). I am suspecting the relay.

David,
Did your relay fail on and cause the heater to run until the pressure release popped?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan
LMWDP #242

ddn (original poster)

#3: Post by ddn (original poster) »

It did not, but I could see how that would happen. If the contacts arced and welded shut instead of failing to make contact, you'd have that scenario. In my case it failed in that it would no longer heat even when the relay was triggered.

As a follow-up, if someone wanted to replace the electromechanical relay with a solid state relay, this one SHOULD be perfect. I am going to test it on an another Livia that I ironically picked up this week on Craigslist.

Digi-Key: Z2583-ND Manufacturer: G3NA-220B-AC100-120

ddr

#4: Post by ddr »

Here is a picture of my relay:

One of the contact points was rattling around in the container before I popped the cap off :) New one on the way.

My Livia 90 Semi has a different relay. Mine uses a finder 62.82.8.110.0000, which is a DPDT and is available cheap from Allied:

https://www.alliedelec.com/finder-62-82 ... /R1055884/
Dan
LMWDP #242

ddn (original poster)

#5: Post by ddn (original poster) »

Ouch.

I noticed that some serial #s of the Livia use a DPDT, but I'm curious as to if it's effectively the same circuit as an SPST but the relay was just cheaper so they used it. I can't imagine it being wired significantly differently than how it is on the SPST machines. It's just energizing the heating element.

In any case, I would seriously consider a solid state relay. I've got one on the way for this 90 Auto I bought, so I'll report back.

jamiedolan

#6: Post by jamiedolan »

Where you able to get the replacement relay working? I'm looking at a replacement that has 6 pins. I'm trying to figure out how I will know where the wires go.

I have a Bezzera BZ02SDE.

Thank You

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-G7L-1A-TUB- ... B005T73R5E

ddn (original poster)

#7: Post by ddn (original poster) »

I had no problems at all with either the solid state or traditional mechanical relays.

G3NA-220B-AC100-120 is the solid state
G7L-1A-TUB-J-CB-AC100/120 is the mechanical

I ended up switching my machine to the solid state and it has been perfect ever since. You almost have to get used to how quiet the machine is except for when the pump runs. The other Livia I purchased that same week I used the mechanical relay on, and it works perfectly as well.

The pinout is fairly easy to match up if you have even a modicum of electrical experience. You want to connect the big heavy gauge wires that go to the heater across the contact pins of the relay, and use the smaller gauge wires to drive the coil.

jamiedolan

#8: Post by jamiedolan »

Thank You. I ordered it and will have it in a couple days. I hopefully can figure out the others wires.

ddn (original poster)

#9: Post by ddn (original poster) »

Which did you get? I'll draw a picture.

jamiedolan

#10: Post by jamiedolan replying to ddn »

My dad bought the replacement, I'm not sure which one it was.

We never got anything to work on this machine. Gave up on it and got a VMB.