Pasquini Livia 90 Low Flow from Grouphead

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
espressomonkey

#1: Post by espressomonkey »

Hi!
A few days ago my pasquini livia 90 started having low flow issues. The steam and hot water spigot work perfectly; however, the group head is pushing out very little water. My first thought is that it's either the 3 way solenoid or the pump? I descaled + backflushed with Joe glo and have had no luck. Another detail: when I turn on the brew switch with no portafilter a little water comes out the grouphead but none comes out the 3 way drain pipe which makes me think the 3 way valve isn't stuck in the drain position. Any help is appreciated 8)

Coffcarl

#2: Post by Coffcarl »

Did you allow air to get into the intake hose? If so, you may need to prime the pump, which can be tough.

I keep a squeeze bottle for this purpose, and force water into the hose while the pump is running. Still need to make sure air does not enter after the procedure, or it is all for nought.

espressomonkey (original poster)

#3: Post by espressomonkey (original poster) » replying to Coffcarl »

I don't believe air got in the pump. I tried to "prime" it yesterday by removing the outlet hose and running the pump from the reservoir and a sufficient amount of water was "pumped out". The pump has no problem filling the boiler and when I turn on the group head it has a little flow. Would there be any flow if the pump needed to be primed?

Coffcarl

#4: Post by Coffcarl »

Nope, you are correct. If the tank is filling, then the pump is working.

There is no gicleur, and no complex e61 plumbing, so unlikely that there is a clog.

Opv stuck open? That would be a weird one.

Or maybe a one way valve not opening.

If there were a crack in the hx tube, then steam would infiltrate the grouphead, so not that.

Observe the two silicone hoses that go back into the reservoir as you pump to the grouphead.

Coffcarl

#5: Post by Coffcarl »

If it's not overfilling the boiler then probably not the parker valve table 11, part 9. Maybe the one way valve just off the three way fitting, table 8, part 7

#6: Post by espressomonkey (original poster) »

A detail to add is that no water is flowing from opv to the drain pipe when I turn on the group head flow, so I think we can eliminate the opv being stuck open. If the one way valve (table 8 part 7) is stuck closed wouldn't the pressure/flow rate increase at the group head?

#7: Post by espressomonkey (original poster) »

I have a general pasquini anatomy question: Where does water get pumped into the heat exchanger ( aka an injector)

#8: Post by espressomonkey (original poster) »

Hang on I was confused and now understand the logic of the one way valve being stuck shut. If the one way valve was stuck closed wouldn't the pump generate enough pressure to open the OPV and drain into the drain tray? Just going through the logic here: if there was a clog somewhere downstream of the pump - wouldn't the pump generate a bunch of pressure and open the OPV drain valve and drain water into the drip tray?

Because the OPV isn't draining from too much pressure I think the issue must be the pump not generating enough pressure - I have a new pump arriving tomorrow so will replace and update.

BTW: the pump is probably 15+ years old so maybe it just isn't generating enough flow?

Coffcarl

#9: Post by Coffcarl »

Your logic makes sense, which is why I asked about the opv (which is actually not an opv but a sort of sscondary relief valve) and water going back to the tank. The actual opv at least on my Bezzera which shares all the livia components, is right at the end of the pump and just recirculates water to the pump inlet.

#10: Post by espressomonkey (original poster) »

[Solved] I fixed it! I took out Tav. 08 from /downloads/ ... -Parts.pdf and took apart the top piece (1) and soaked in joe glo and some descale solution overnight. after getting it as clean as I could I reassembled and am getting solid flow through the group head!