Parts for Riviera Espresso - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
openmicman (original poster)

#11: Post by openmicman (original poster) »

grog wrote:Re: lack of crema, you mentioned in your original post that it was operational for the past ten years. Did you have it all that time - and were getting 'normal' crema - or did you acquire it from someone who said it had been in service for the last ten years? Just trying to figure out if the lack of crema is relative to your prior experience or just generally lacking.
I have had it all the time. The crema just doesn't compare to others - like the Nespresso machine - though the coffee tastes great. I now have a De Longhi grinder ... which does a great job, and grinds much finer.
I'll try to post a video.

Also, it now seems to develop an 'air gap; when first coming to boil. When I release the steam wand, I drops pressure back down, and then comes back to pressure (just once). Anyone encountered this?

openmicman (original poster)

#12: Post by openmicman (original poster) »

Here is it in action. (note the boiler cap broke today - the 3 pins holding the plastic onto the brass simply sheered)

yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

The air gap you mention is also known as false pressure on this forum. It's common on lever machines to have vacuum breakers (usually in the boiler cap) to allow the release of air as the lever espresso machine comes up to pressure. Just remember to bleed the air out with a steam wand and you'll be fine. If your machine does have a vacuum breaker, check to make sure that it's working.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Alslaw

#14: Post by Alslaw »

openmicman wrote:I have had it all the time. The crema just doesn't compare to others - like the Nespresso machine - though the coffee tastes great. I now have a De Longhi grinder ... which does a great job, and grinds much finer.
I'm afraid the grinder is still the culprit for your lack of crema. Aside from grind fineness, you also need grind consistency. Although I don't know much about the burrset in the Delonghi grinders, I imagine they are the 'crushing' type burrs rather than those that cut with sharp edges. Those grinders just can't provide the same quality for espresso grind.
LMWDP # 606