Overflow and steam from exhaust tube into E61 drip tray

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
FranksHungry

#1: Post by FranksHungry »

I'm having some issues with my Alex Duetto e61 DB. I'm not sure what the part name is to best describe the issue...It's the tube that drains excess water into the drip tray *not* on the group head.

Anyway, there is constantly low hissing rumble and steam or a slow drip of hot water coming from the tube. When brewing a shot, water flows at a heavy rate from the exhaust and will completely fill the drip dray. Pressure tends to drop about half way through a shot.

Temperatures reads ok on the machine, but I have not verified at the group. I do not hear the boiler flash boiling. This happens with or without the steam boiler on. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

The machine is about 9 years old and has had some recent Maintenance:
* New Mushroom, internals, and gaskets.
* New Group Brew Valve
* New Group Exhaust/Drain Valve
* New temperature probe on Steam Boiler

Before I just start ordering random parts or ship off to Chris's Coffee aI figured I'd come to the experts for some help. Where do I start?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Though "steam" doesn't quite fit, it sounds like a sticky OPV that isn't sealing. With luck, a soak in a mild descaler and a thorough rinse might resolve it. If not, they are generally easy to rebuild with a new seal.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

FranksHungry wrote:Before I just start ordering random parts or ship off to Chris's Coffee aI figured I'd come to the experts for some help. Where do I start?

+1 On Jeff's OPV seal leaking.

The part you would need is a Quick Mill F062 'Red-Rubber-Valve-Face', same as the IZZO 7356, 'Seat for Steam/Hot Water Valve'.

Speak with someone at Chris' Coffee service or parts department.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/s ... valve-seat

https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/i ... ater-valve

Here's a picture of what it looks like in an IZZO Alex Duetto III steam valve stem:

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

FranksHungry (original poster)

#4: Post by FranksHungry (original poster) »

This looks like it's part of the steam knob?

The OPV makes some sense. Trying to track down where on my machine that is.

edit: I see. That is the seal inside of the expansion valve (OPV?).

Found this link for service: https://clivecoffee.zendesk.com/hc/en-u ... stallation

#5: Post by FranksHungry (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Here's a picture of what it looks like in an IZZO Alex Duetto III steam valve stem:
Did you perform this repair on a machine? How did you get the copper pipe out of the way that sits above the OPV? Did you disconnect it from the steam boiler and the steam arm knob?

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

Some machines are designed to be maintained and serviced, and then there is this. Ughhh..
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
*20th Anniversary 2000-2020*

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

FranksHungry wrote:Did you perform this repair on a machine? How did you get the copper pipe out of the way that sits above the OPV? Did you disconnect it from the steam boiler and the steam arm knob?
As mentioned in my previous post, the repair I did was to the steam wand spigot's valve seat. I did order extra seats in anticipation of one day having to rebuild the OPV and the hot water spigot as well since the seats are the same.

Here's a pic of the OPV in our Duetto III, I'm sure I'd find a way to loosen whatever would be easiest to complete the repair. The more I do, the more experience and confidence I gather to repair anything in an Alex Duetto and many other machines as well.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle

#8: Post by FranksHungry (original poster) »

Thanks for the help. Maybe they reshaped this part to make this easier. Most photos I see online look like your plumbing.

I agree on the maintenance confidence. It's needed to keep these going. I've diagnosed and fixed things I thought would require sending in for service before but with the help of the community I've been keeping this going for about 9 years.

I'm assuming the bolts at the end of the copper lines are separate from the line? Meaning when I loosen the bolts, it won't torque the pipe? It seems like an obvious thing but I haven't messed with any of the copper lines yet and I'm a bit nervous. Just go at the bolts with a wrench once the machine has cooled? Disassemble the expansion valve, clean it, and reassemble? Seems easy enough.

Pressino

#9: Post by Pressino »

Unless I've missed an important detail, I can't imagine how the OP's machine symptoms relate to the steam valve gasket referred to earlier. Sounds more like a problem in the vacuum breaker valve on the steam boiler, but not sure why that would cause excessive discharge from the E61 exhaust chamber...though it would cause discharge into the steam overflow spigot.

BaristaBoy E61

#10: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Pressino wrote:Unless I've missed an important detail, I can't imagine how the OP's machine symptoms relate to the steam valve gasket referred to earlier. Sounds more like a problem in the vacuum breaker valve on the steam boiler, but not sure why that would cause excessive discharge from the E61 exhaust chamber...though it would cause discharge into the steam overflow spigot.
FranksHungry wrote:I'm having some issues with my Alex Duetto e61 DB. I'm not sure what the part name is to best describe the issue...It's the tube that drains excess water into the drip tray *not* on the group head.

Anyway, there is constantly low hissing rumble and steam or a slow drip of hot water coming from the tube. When brewing a shot, water flows at a heavy rate from the exhaust and will completely fill the drip dray. Pressure tends to drop about half way through a shot.
Jeff wrote:Though "steam" doesn't quite fit, it sounds like a sticky OPV that isn't sealing. With luck, a soak in a mild descaler and a thorough rinse might resolve it. If not, they are generally easy to rebuild with a new seal.
BaristaBoy E61 wrote: +1 On Jeff's OPV seal leaking.

The part you would need is a Quick Mill F062 'Red-Rubber-Valve-Face', same as the IZZO 7356, 'Seat for Steam/Hot Water Valve'.

Chris' Coffee web site:

"This is a replacement seat for the non-compression type no-burn non compression type steam and hot water valves used on Quick Mill Andreja Premium, Vetrano 2B, QM 67, and Achille Lever. It is also for the Izzo Duetto II, Duetto III, Izzo Leva, and Izzo Tre. It also fits the Izzo Expansion valve."

https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/st ... valve-seat

These seats serve some of the same Izzo Alex Duetto, Quick Mill and other steam spigots, hot water spigots and some OPV assemblies, such as the one in question, an Izzo Alex Duetto III.

Hope this helps clarify.