Orphan Espresso Pharos 2.0 adjustment problem

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
EspressYO_

#1: Post by EspressYO_ »

I got a Pharos 2.0 today and I'm doing something wrong. It came with the burrs locked together. I installed the handle and began to make my adjustments. I undid the collar screw.. turned the collar one full rotation, and retightened the screw. When I turn the handle, the adjustment collar spins and continues to adjust the burrs. Any advice on how to lock the adjustment collar into place? Maybe the collar could be damaged somehow?

mdmvrockford

#2: Post by mdmvrockford replying to EspressYO_ »

I understand your problem as written. But sorry pictures are required. If you camera allows, macro views (or as close to macro views as your camera will allow) will be beneficial for us to help you. I am Pharos version 1.1 owner.
LMWDP #568

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

EspressYO_ wrote:I got a Pharos 2.0 today and I'm doing something wrong. It came with the burrs locked together. I installed the handle and began to make my adjustments. I undid the collar screw.. turned the collar one full rotation, and retightened the screw. When I turn the handle, the adjustment collar spins and continues to adjust the burrs. Any advice on how to lock the adjustment collar into place? Maybe the collar could be damaged somehow?
My advice would be to first, get a better hex wrench. I use a Bondhaus x3256 3mm straight hex T-handle, but any high-quality tool will work. (The 'x' in the x3256 refers to how the tool is packaged. The part number of mine is actually 13256.) Do not get a ball-end. Do not buy a cheap set - the Bondhaus is about $8 for the one T-handle.

The supplied hex key needs to be used very, very carefully to avoid stripping the adjusting collar's cap screw. The cap screw needs more tightening torque than one might imagine to lock the threads. However, it is very easy to over-torque (and subsequently strip) the cap screw with a hex key. I find that it is easier to develop the muscle memory for the right amount of torque with a T-handle.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

EspressYO_ (original poster)

#4: Post by EspressYO_ (original poster) »

I'll definitely be getting another hex key. I simply didn't have the collar screw tight enough. As a general rule I try to not over tighten things but it just requires more force than I expected.