On the fence about descaling your espresso machine? See here... - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
homeburrero
Team HB

#21: Post by homeburrero »

DaveB wrote:If I were to drain an ounce or two to test, wouldn't that contain a disproportionate amount of TDS as they would tend to settle to the bottom? Wouldn't you have to drain the whole boiler and then agitate the water to get a fair representation of the TDS?
Sampling from the drain would give you high results (compared to boiler water average) if your water is precipitating salts. I think in the case of prolonged use of rpavlis water it would probably be the same throughout the boiler because the potassium bicarb is so very soluble.
DaveB wrote:If the RPavlis water is incapable of causing scale or corrosion, is there any reason not to just leave it be until end of days?
I guess maybe a yearly drain and check as a minimum, but I don't have a valid argument for choosing that interval.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

DaveB

#22: Post by DaveB »

Just for entertainment's sake I drained 5 oz from the steam boiler and tested. This machine has been used 4 weeks (to the day) from brand new, and the steamer is used 3 to 4 times a day for approx. 20-25 seconds. First I tested my RPavlis water from a jug which came out at 67 ppm at 69ºF. Then tested my boiler sample, which came out to 220 ppm (and had cooled to the ambient temp of 69ºF).
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

homeburrero
Team HB

#23: Post by homeburrero » replying to DaveB »

Very useful info! Is concentrating faster than I would have guessed. Your more than 3x concentration is still well below saturation for potassium bicarb and should be fine for boiler health. But at that concentration rate I think you might want to drain every month or two.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h